turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm trying to import Vanguard tax data into my tax return. Getting error "invalid sign on"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

38 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

I'm trying to import Vanguard tax data into my tax return. Getting error "invalid sign on"

You will need to contact customer service directly for assistance with your account. Please see the following information here for more details. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I got a reply.  The advertised feature does not work.  No solution.  In other words - Too bad - Doesn't affect us as you already bought the software.  Turbo Tax please contact me if you want to make this right.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

You can contact support for further assistance.

This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent.
Contact Support

Hello, Are you asking me to contact customer service so I can get a refund for Turbo tax software?  I don't want to wait on hold again to hear "I can't help you".  Customer service previously informed me that it was a defect in  Turbo Tax software.   

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@emilclu

Does your login screen ask for a username/password or document ID and account number?  Please respond here and we will follow up with the next steps.  

PCNR
Level 1

my TurboTax is asking for document ID and Account number. I’ve tried everything and I keep getting unsuccessful import. I used to be asked for a user ID and password but that is not the case in 2022 for the 2021 tax year. Please help!

I'm having buyers remorse.  This year not only was I unable to download vanguard.  Also, software only partially grabbed information from my prior turbox filed returns.  These are the features I paid for and they are not working.  I'm not willing to delete my entire tax return and start over as your support representative suggests.  This years version of your software is broken.  It's your option if you want to compensate me for these deficiencies.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Use the account number and the Document ID from the top banner on page one of your 1099 statement.

PCNR
Level 1

As I indicated in my above message, nothing works. There is no document ID with 11 characters (turboTax software says 11 characters). Any combination of account number, user ID, and password does not work. Your software must be incorrect. Surely TurboTax can do an update to fix this? I’ve been importing my Vanguard information to TurboTax for years using my user ID and password. Your software is not asking for those items. The Vanguard form does not have a banner across the top with a document ID number. The software designer needs to get involved and make a correction and do and update for its customers.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

The Turbo Tax icon for Vanguard tries to sign you in to Vanguard Mutual Funds. If you have a Vanguard Brokerage account or if your Vanguard Mutual Fund account was converted to a Vanguard Brokerage account last year then you have to type in Vanguard on the search for field instead of selecting the icon and you will see two drop down items display, Vanguard Mutual Funds and Vanguard Brokerage. Select the Vanguard Brokerage and enter your id and password for Vanguard and then your imports will work.

"MarkMulliganSr Level 1"

Please also see the TurboTax FAQ below, for issues importing:

@PCNR

Why did it take so long to communicate this information?  I already filed tax return.  If you think It's the right thing to do please compensate me for difficulties.  It's not my job to troubleshoot your software.  

That was just one user's experience from 2018 and may not even apply to 2021.   From this 2018 post

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/vanguard-2018-1099-s-not-downloading/00/9698

Nope, still doesn't work.  Import seems to be broken.

nope doesn't work for me either. no document ids work

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies