turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dbeard892

I am 19 years old since December 15 2019. Not a college student got kicked out in summer I had my own jobs and filed my own taxes and claimed exempt. Can I be claimed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I am 19 years old since December 15 2019. Not a college student got kicked out in summer I had my own jobs and filed my own taxes and claimed exempt. Can I be claimed?

" got kicked out in summer "

If you were a full time student for parts of 5 months (e.g. January - May), you can still (most likely) be claimed by your parents. There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). 

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are considered third party support and not as support provided by the student.
  3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

So, it doesn't matter how much he earned. What matters is how much he spent on support. Money he put into savings does not count as support he spent on him self.

The support value of the home, provided by the parent, is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.

Furthermore, there is a rule that says IF somebody else CAN claim him as a dependent, he is not allowed to claim himself. If he has sufficient income (usually more than $12,200), he can & should still file taxes. In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.  TT will check that box on form 1040.

Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year   
  2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4200 ($4150 in 2018)
  3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support

In either case:

1. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
  2. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own
  3. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

Full rules at:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

With the tax law change, effective 2018, most students will get the same refund whether they claim themselves or not. The personal exemption has been eliminated and the standard deduction increased.

If your question is about the stimulus check,:Under the CARES Act, if you are claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return you cannot receive a stimulus check.  If you were claimed as a dependent for 2019, but not 2020 you will most likely not receive a stimulus check.  You will (most likely), be able to get a tax credit for it when you file your 2020 taxes in 2021. And your parents still get the $500 dependent credit for 2019. Win-win.

"In essence, the stimulus check acts as an advance of your 2020 income tax refund. This means when you prepare your 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit. The credit on your 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020. If the amount you received as a stimulus check is less than the credit you are due, the difference will be included as part of your 2020 refund. If you have been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, you will not be required to return any excess amount".

Reference: https://www.dailylocal.com/news/coronavirus/what-does-the-stimulus-check-mean-for-your-taxes/article...

I find myself unsure of if I should amend my filing status ? I filed as single claiming my girlfriend as a dependent since we're not actually married.  How will this effect the stimulus payment.  Federal and State have  "accepted " I also tried to add my information that my benefits comes on and it wouldn't allow me too . Is there anything I should do or expect? Will stimulus still go to same place that myy benefits every month are deposited  ? 

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@lawdawg291

Without knowing all of your details (source of income, girlfriend’s age), it’s hard to tell whether you should amend or not to change your filing status.  For stimulus purposes, it doesn’t matter whether you file as single or head of household.  (It might affect your tax refund, but not the stimulus.) 

If Single was the status that TurboTax chose for you, it’s probably correct, since it’s based on the information that you entered in your interview.  That said, see the TurboTax Help article Do I qualify for Head of Household?for more information.

You state you receive benefits.  Assuming that you mean Social Security benefits, you don’t need to provide Direct Deposit information if it’s already on file with SSA.  SSA will use what it has in its system.  Please see the Department of the Treasury article Social Security Recipients Will Automatically Receive Economic Impact Payments for more information.

To see if you qualify for the stimulus – and, if so, for how much – please see TurboTax's Everything to help you get your stimulus check as soon as possible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My daughter claimed me as her dependent  in 2019 as an adult dependent but with every one losing jobs, I no longer qualify as her dependent, I filed my own taxes this year 2020 as single on SSDI. I kept hearing last year that disabled people were not allowed stimulus. I also got confused and put down that I received stimulus. Will they try to charge me back for that. My daughter hasn't filed hers yet, but even if she doesn't claim me, I still don't qualify as it stands now, right? Will they reject my income tax because I said I got stimulus? And will I still get to fix the amount, where I said I got it. After I sent it I realized that was wrong. I don't want my daughter to get in trouble because she only got hers, not anything for me right? I just filed this years because I got a paper check for 300 in my ex husband and mines name. We have been divorced since 2007 and he has been dead 2. So I checked the box deceased and sent it back. I never heard anything from them until Jan when they sent me a 1099 INT for 55.00.  I have not filed income taxes in years is this going to make SSDI  think I got stimulus I didn't? How do they do that?  Do they send your tax return to SSDI to get your direct deposit? I am so confused now. Please help.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@emilar59 

Post a new question, so that the entire forum can see it.

Tagging on here, you are only visible to people following this (off topic) thread.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies