turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

js301913

I'm mailing my tax documents for the first time ever because I normally e-file like most of us. Do I send a copy of my federal and state documents to the irs? Same ? 4 CA

When filing by mail do I send copys of federal and state to the IRS and my state? Or send federal to IRS and state to state?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I'm mailing my tax documents for the first time ever because I normally e-file like most of us. Do I send a copy of my federal and state documents to the irs? Same ? 4 CA

send federal to IRS and state to state. when you print out the returns to mail read the filing instructions. do not send the filing instructions with the returns.

The IRS only wants the Federal return and does not want a copy of the state return.  But some state tax agencies also want a copy of the Federal return (or certain forms and schedules from the Federal return) to be enclosed along with the state return to verify the figures you used on the state return.

As @Mike9241 referred to, the Filing Instructions that print out with your returns should tell you what to send.  There may be a page of Federal Filing Instructions and a page of State Filing Instructions.

The Filing Instructions should also have the mailing addresses to use.

But why are you filing paper returns by mail?   If you are due a refund, manual processing could delay it for months.

Why are you not efiling?   If you're having a problem efiling, we may be able to help you efile.

You only mail federal to the IRS.   California sometimes wants a copy of federal behind the CA 540 return so if it prints out 2 copies of federal 1040, one goes with state.   And it should say on the Turbo Tax cover sheet.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies