Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

frs789595

I'm filling for my dad who passed away last November. I filled an extension in April. Do I need to file another extension if I don't have all of the info ready yet?

So far, it looks like he won't owe anything.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'm filling for my dad who passed away last November. I filled an extension in April. Do I need to file another extension if I don't have all of the info ready yet?

No there is only 1 extension to Oct 15.  You have 3 years to file for a refund.  If you are using the online version you will need to switch to the Desktop program to finish.  You can only efile until Oct 15 so you may need to print and mail it. 

So you should download the .tax2021 file if you can't finish online.  To continue in the desktop version see this…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

Download the .tax2021 file for free

How do I save my TurboTax Online return as a tax data file?

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).  Just enter some basic personal info like your name and address then click on the State tab at the top and it should ask if you want to download the state program.

You can buy the CD/Download here,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The extension that you filed gives you an extension of time to file the tax return, but not an extension of time to pay any tax that is due. If he does owe any tax, the payment was due on April 18. You will be charged interest and penalties for paying after April 18, and for filing after October 17. If he doesn't owe any tax there is no penalty for filing late.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies