turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m a resident alien. I started working in US on April 1st and pau taxes here. I was working in my country (Spain) the 3 first month of 2019. This is my first time working in US. Should I add the

Should I add the incomes from 3 months in Spain? How can I do it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I’m a resident alien. I started working in US on April 1st and pau taxes here. I was working in my country (Spain) the 3 first month of 2019. This is my first time working in US. Should I add the

Yes, you do need to add your income earned in a foreign country on your tax return.

However, if you paid any tax on the income, you may be able to get a credit (reduction of tax) for those taxes paid on your US tax return. You may also qualify for an exclusion of the foreign income under certain circumstances.

To report your foreign income, please follow these steps:

1. While logged into your TurboTax program use the Search option and type "Foreign Income" and hit "enter"

2. You will see an option "Jump to Foreign Income" click on that option

3. Now you are in the section where you will enter your foreign income

If your income is from a statement from your foreign employer, you can enter that income in this section only.

If your foreign income was reported on a W-2 form you will be asked to enter your wage income in the W-2 section of Turbo Tax. You will be asked to enter any self-employment income in the business income section of Turbo Tax if that applies to you. 

If you enter your foreign income in other sections of TurboTax, you must return to the foreign income section to see if you can exclude any of your foreign income from taxation in the US.

If you paid taxes on your foreign income, you can go to the "Foreign taxes" section under "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid" in the "Deductions & Credits" section of TurboTax to see if you qualify for a credit for foreign taxes paid.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Seems that is not possible to do that with the free version.

Regards

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

No, I am sorry, you will have to use a paid version of TurboTax because of the complexity of your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies