turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in the UK, and have for the last 5 years, but now I'm not able to file my return because MAX benefits is expecting a US address. How can I by pass this?

It appears I'm unable to removed MAX benefits because Turbo Tax has already taken my money.  Not I can't file my taxes.  Help please.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

I live in the UK, and have for the last 5 years, but now I'm not able to file my return because MAX benefits is expecting a US address. How can I by pass this?

Try this workaround from @Critter (Max benefits for overseas filers) :

This is caused when the MAX bundle is in the order and there are issues with the information entered in the Personal Info section. This can happen in the following situations:

• You have a foreign mailing address entered, but are paying with a U.S.-based credit/debit card
  • The first name you've entered is only one letter

This can be resolved by temporarily changing your information under Personal Info, then changing it back before filing your return. If you have a foreign address, enter the U.S. billing address for the card you're trying to use. If you have only one letter as your first name, change this to your full first name, as shown on your social security card.

1. Click on the Personal Info tab at the top
  2. Make the necessary changes to your personal Information (address)
  3. Click the File tab at the top and click Start next to Step 1
  4. Continue to pay for TurboTax Online
  5. Continue through the interview until, in Step 3, you've signed the consent form for MAX Assist & Defend
  6. Return to Personal Info and set your mailing address back to the correct address, as described in steps 1-3, before transmitting your return

If you've followed the above steps and you continue to get the error message, it can be resolved by removing the MAX Benefits from your order, which will allow you to file.

Note: If you choose to remove the MAX bundle and file, you will not be able to order it later.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Please  clarify - are you being asked for a US address when trying to pay for MAX benefits with a credit card?

By my receipt it shows I have paid for it already but there is some “state and zip” check that is happening when I’m going to file my federal return. It puts me into a loop of constantly going back through the return. 

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

How did you pay for it?

US credit card

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Did you enter the US state and zip associated with that credit card?

Yes

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Try this workaround from @Critter (Max benefits for overseas filers) :

This is caused when the MAX bundle is in the order and there are issues with the information entered in the Personal Info section. This can happen in the following situations:

• You have a foreign mailing address entered, but are paying with a U.S.-based credit/debit card
  • The first name you've entered is only one letter

This can be resolved by temporarily changing your information under Personal Info, then changing it back before filing your return. If you have a foreign address, enter the U.S. billing address for the card you're trying to use. If you have only one letter as your first name, change this to your full first name, as shown on your social security card.

1. Click on the Personal Info tab at the top
  2. Make the necessary changes to your personal Information (address)
  3. Click the File tab at the top and click Start next to Step 1
  4. Continue to pay for TurboTax Online
  5. Continue through the interview until, in Step 3, you've signed the consent form for MAX Assist & Defend
  6. Return to Personal Info and set your mailing address back to the correct address, as described in steps 1-3, before transmitting your return

If you've followed the above steps and you continue to get the error message, it can be resolved by removing the MAX Benefits from your order, which will allow you to file.

Note: If you choose to remove the MAX bundle and file, you will not be able to order it later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies