turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just worked for a month as an assistant, making only $1300 i believe, am i still required to file a tax return for 2021?

I worked for a month for my dad’s company and I think  I only made some $1300 dollars in 2021, i just had one job in my life since i am a college student and it’s that one. Am i still required to file a tax return for 2021?

my dad can still claim me in his taxes as a dependent just so you know

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I just worked for a month as an assistant, making only $1300 i believe, am i still required to file a tax return for 2021?

Who has to file?

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Do-I-Need-to-File-a-Tax-Return%3F

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Me, i am the one who needs to

file, i think 

Was any tax withheld from your pay ---- will you get a W-2?  Click the link I gave you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes, i had tax withheld from my paychecks and I will receive a W-2 by the end of january

It depends if he gives you a W2 or 1099NEC or no form for it.    If you get a W2 you only have to file to get back any withholding taken out in box 2.   But I have a feeling he didn't take taxes out of your pay and paid you as an independent contractor and it is self employment income.  

If you get a 1099NEC or no form at all then it is self employment income and you have to file it and pay self employment tax on it.  To report your self employment income you will fill out schedule C in your personal 1040 tax return and pay SE self employment Tax. You can enter Self Employment Income into Online Deluxe or Premier but if you have any expenses you will have to upgrade to the Self Employed version. Or any of the Desktop programs. 

How to enter income from Self Employment
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

He can still claim you as a dependent and on your return you will have to check the box that you can be claimed as a dependent.  Do not miss that!

Oh I didn't see your post saying it is a W2.  Then you only need to file if he took federal withholding out in box 2.  You can get that back as a refund.  It is probably too small to take state withholding out in box 17.    Again, be sure on your return you say you were claimed as a dependent.

I want to file, but because i believe i can get a refund from what i was withheld from my paychecks, but i do think too that i did not make enough in 2021 to officially owe money to the IRS, am i right?

You will not owe anything to the IRS.    If your W-2 has an amount in box 2 you can get that back as a refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies