turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

npeel3497

I just paid to go through the process of filing online. Now I'm being warned it needs to be sent in the mail. I need to know exactly what to do for this

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I just paid to go through the process of filing online. Now I'm being warned it needs to be sent in the mail. I need to know exactly what to do for this

Online tax preparation and e-filing for 2018 returns is now permanently closed.  You had until midnight on Tuesday, October 15 to finish and attempt to e-file; if your e-file was rejected you had until October 20 to make corrections and re-file. Now it is too late to efile any return … they must be mailed in.

I assume you bought the Downloaded program (for 2018 or earlier)  since you "just paid"  so in the FILE tab your only choice now is to mail in the return ... after you choose that option you can print the return that needs to be filed along with the mailing instructions.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.

If you are getting a refund, there is no penalty for filing late.  If you owe tax due, then file and pay the amount due as shown on the Form 1040, but expect a bill later from the IRS for the penalty and interest you will owe.  Only the IRS will calculate this—TurboTax will not calculate it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

What do you mean by "just paid?"  Online preparation and e-filing for a 2018 return have been closed since October 15, and it is no longer possible to purchase online for 2018, and it is too soon to purchase online for 2019.  

You missed the deadline to e-file a 2018 return, and it will have to be printed, signed and mailed.  If you mean you started the return before the deadline and are just now getting around to trying to file it, then you still have to pay for the use of the software you used to prepare the return.  The fee for online TurboTax is the same whether you e-file or print and mail it. Or if you just purchased the desktop program, same thing--you cannot e-file.  It has to be mailed in.  Choose file by mail when you get to the file section.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
npeel3497

Do I include the 'tax worksheets' that were printed or only the forms? I really don't care how stupid I sound (I'm disabled) because this needs to be done. 

When you choose the option to file by mail it prints out just the pages you need to mail in.  Look over the pages that print out carefully so that you can see which ones are for the federal return and which go to the state.  Federal and state returns must be mailed in their own separate envelopes--they go to separate places.

And look carefully at your federal Form 1040.  The place where you need to sign it is in the middle of the page.  When they re-designed the tax forms for 2018 they made the Form 1040 look like it is "postcard" size --when it prints out, page 1 and page 2 are on the same sheet of paper.  Look for the black arrow and the words "sign Here" in the middle--sign it in ink and write in the date.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies