turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DavidClay
Returning Member

I just filed my federal return electronically and it has been accepted. I've since found an error and need to amend the return. How soon can I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I just filed my federal return electronically and it has been accepted. I've since found an error and need to amend the return. How soon can I do that?

Turbo tax cautions you that once you submit it's like dropping it into the mailbox. 

You can file a "corrected return" as long as it is mailed before 4/15/2021. You have to do it on paper, so you should be able print your correct return through turbo tax. Print it and then write "corrected Return" in red at the top of the 1040. Then mail it in based on the information in the instructions in the 1040. Always send certified return receipt.

I will say that depending on what the error is you may not have to do anything. For example if you left off a W-2 then the IRS system will catch that error and adjust your electronically filed return and adjust your tax. If that is the case, then you don't really have to do anything.

But if you want to change your return, if you file after 4/15/2021 then you will have to use a form 1040X which is a pain but will be available to do online using the software from turbo tax. 

Amended Return Frequently Asked Questions | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

Do not try to change anything on your return now.  When you amend, your Form 1040X has to be prepared from the return exactly the way it looked when you filed it originally.   You have to wait.   Once your return has been processed you will complete a Form 1040X   --- which is not yet available --- and submit it to amend the mistakes made when you filed your original return. It takes the IRS at least four months to process an amended return.

The Form 1040X you need is under revision and is not ready yet.  The Form 1040X does not become available in the software until the end of March 2021 (subject to change).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The soonest opportunity to e-file an amended return would be the last week of March when Form 1040-X becomes available.

For the most recent status updates on IRS Forms Availability, see: IRS forms availability table for TurboTax.

The amended state return must be paper filed unless you live in Georgia, Michigan, New York, or Vermont.

Not all corrections require an amended(changed) return. For example, the IRS issued guidance March 1, 2021 stating that if the Recovery Rebate Credit was included in the 2020 tax return, but calculated incorrectly, the IRS would automatically make the adjustments and amending the return would not be necessary.

To make sure an amendment is necessary, see: Do I need to amend?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies