turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jwilz84

I just filed my 2018 taxes. Receipt they sent me says blah blah thanx for filing ur 2019 filings or whatever. Is this messed up. Or standard response from a lame ai?

K filed 2018
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I just filed my 2018 taxes. Receipt they sent me says blah blah thanx for filing ur 2019 filings or whatever. Is this messed up. Or standard response from a lame ai?

No, You messed up big time.  The TurboTax online editions are only for tax year 2019.  So now the IRS is going to receive your 2018 tax data on a 2019 tax return.  If you are very lucky the IRS will reject the tax return and then you can delete all the information on the 2019 tax return and start over using 2019 tax data.

If you are unlucky the IRS will accept the return and then in a few months send you a letter complaining about what was entered on the 2019 tax return.  You will then have to file an amended tax return for 2019 to make the corrections.  An amended tax return can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed.  The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return.

To complete and file a 2018 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer, Win or Mac, one of the 2018 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

jwilz84

But on the intuit form it said 20018. After askjng which year id like to file.  Plus. I took a pic of the 1040’s which also stated 2018.  They even denied me instant money because i was filing previous year.  Only thing that said 2019 was receipt.  Fairly certain now since ive recieved word from irs that that was just a standard receipt reply.  An oversight if u like. 

jwilz84

Oh... i see what ur doing.  Lol

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

For a prior tax year, you will need to do the following:

For tax years 2018, 2017, or 2016

You'll need to purchase and download the TurboTax software for PC or Mac as TurboTax Online and the mobile app are only available for the current tax year.

After installing the software, open it and follow the onscreen instructions.

Prior-year returns must be paper-filed, as e-filing is no longer available. We'll walk you through that process when you get to the File section in the software.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies