turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Willi43

I just e-filed my 2020 turbo-tax return but it was rejected. My 2019 AGI was requested and provided but my return was again rejected. How do I procede?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

I just e-filed my 2020 turbo-tax return but it was rejected. My 2019 AGI was requested and provided but my return was again rejected. How do I procede?

For some reason, the IRS has a different AGI in their database. You need to find out what number they have so you can e-file.

Start by getting a free IRS transcript for your 2019 return.  (If you're filing jointly in 2020 but your spouse filed their own return in 2019, also get a transcript for your spouse).

On your transcript, look for ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME (you may need to look on page 2). This is the number in the IRS database. Make sure the AGI you enter matches this number exactly.

If you're unable to order an IRS transcript, try entering 0 as your AGI, assuming you haven't already gone that route. You can also try entering last year's signature ID (instructions below).

Failing that, you can opt to file a paper return; follow the solution steps above, except select File by mail when it appears.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I would like to file 2019 taxes which I did not do when I filed 2020 with turbotax 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file prior year tax returns after filing your current return.

However, you will need to use a TurboTax CD/Download product to complete you previous year return. You will print and mail because the IRS is no longer accepting prior year returns for e-file.

For more information about the product you need, follow this link: Past Years Products

View solution in original post

Can I file previous years tax return after filing this years tax return? (intuit.com)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies