Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nina2233

I have three dependents, and my stimulus payment was for only two dependents.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

a few things.....

first, there are press reports the the IRS knows it left some dependents out, so stay tuned. 

2nd,  IRS FAQ from IRS.GOV: 

a letter about the Payment will be mailed to each recipient’s last known address within 15 days after the Payment is made. The letter will provide information on how the Payment was made and how to report any failure to receive the Payment.

3rd, can you please look at your tax return where your children are listed.... look WAY OVER to the right and please confirm that the check marks are all under "child tax credit".  If any of the check marks are under "other dependent" - that would explain why a child was left out.   All of the children are under 17 years old as of 12/31/19, right?   Please post back if any of the check marks are under 'other dependent credit" and we can work through that

4th - worst case scenario: 

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where a qualifying child was left off including children born in 2019 and 2020), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing as an additional refund
  • If you received too much stimulus (not the issue here), by law , you are not required to return it
nina2233

Hi, 

i ya e one child who is checked under other credits, the only thing I can think of is he is autistic, and 13, but that should not have anything to do with it. The other two are 9, and 11 

nina2233

The letter does not say anything about how to report errors, the letter just came today. 
regardless I’m grateful for what I did receive. 
just more out of curiosity. Thank you 

@nina2233 yeah, so that is the problem....  please go back into turbo tax and look at all the questions that were asked about that child....compare how you answered the questions for that child vs. the other 2.  Something was answered differently - I suspect THAT is the reason there was $500 missing.

two suggestions, once you figure out what occurred, 

1) amend the return.  that is at least a 16 week process, has to be sent by mail,  and the IRS isn't reviewing paper until the IRS centers are reopened.  But you want to file this because the tax credit on the children under 17 are worth up to $2000 in tax credits while the 'other dependent' tax credit is only worth up to $500 - it depends on your specific tax situation whether you;d actually be eligible for the extra $1500 - depends on your tax situation. 

there is no guidance from the IRS if they are going to provide the $500 stimulus immediately after processing the amendment - maybe they will and maybe they won't. 

2) however,  this is the worst case scenario ...

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where you simply never received the $500 stimulus for your eldest child), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing as an additional refund
  • If you received too much stimulus (not the issue here), by law , you are not required to return it

so when you file in 2020, ensure that the check marks are all under "child tax credit" and during the "settle up' process, there should be an additional $500 refund. 

make sense? please respond back if so... try to figure out why your eldest was marked as 'other dependent' - if he is a US citizen, you provide over 50% of his support, he lives with you, etc. I suspect something was answered incorrectly in TT. 

Carl
Level 15

If you have a dependent that "WILL BE" turning 17 in 2020, or if they turned 17 in 2019 or a prior year, then that dependent does NOT qualify you for the additional $500.

Janet2101
Returning Member

Hello yes the check Mark's are all under other dependents..why??can someone help me.i dont file taxes yearly,to be able to claim in 2020

My email is,[email address removed]..please help if can.thanks

@Janet2101 - then there is something wrong about how you answered the questions about your children.  Go back in to TT and look at each question VERY closely and see what is wrong.  Ask someone to look over your shoulder as you do it.... 

you'll have to file an amendment once you figure out what is wrong.  That alone may provide a lot more tax refund - depends on your tax situation

once the amendment is filed and processed (will take 16 week minimum for that to occur,  the IRS may or may not send out the stimulus- hard to say as there has been no guidance.

worst case scenario - file in 2020 and make sure the check marks are in the correct column.  they will pay the stimulus dollars at that time

I am assuming some / all the children are under 17 years old.  Over 16 are not eligible for the stimulus 

Hal_Al
Level 15

News report 5/5/20: The IRS has recognized that there are Americans who did not receive their bonus payments of $500 per child. While they have not explained why this has happened, the government says that in these cases, people can claim the additional money when they file their 2020 tax returns.

My son is checked as other. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Other dependents are not qualified for a stimulus payment.  Only children 16 and under.

This FAQ site may also answer your questions.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I double checked my taxes and everything is right. I still haven't received anything more for my dependents and I still haven't even received a letter from the IRS about my stimulus check or about anything.

Thank you. I double checked my taxes and everything is right. I still haven't received anything more for my dependents and I still haven't even received a letter from the IRS about my stimulus check or about anything.

@murrage206 wrote:

See this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A29. If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child dependent payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies