turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a refund for 2020. I filed an extension, but never filed the 2020 return. Do you know how I file 2020 in Turbo Tax now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have a refund for 2020. I filed an extension, but never filed the 2020 return. Do you know how I file 2020 in Turbo Tax now?

You have to print it out and mail it now.  Did you start it last year?  How to finish a return you started online,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

And you will have to print and mail your returns.  So be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

Then when you file for 2021 you need to enter 0 for the 2020 AGI since you are filing 2020 late.

Helper62

As long as you have the program and it is active, you can just enter the information to complete your return as normal. The only difference will be that you will not have the ability to efile because you have already passed the extension deadline of 10/15/2021. Make sure you do any updates prompted on the program. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies