turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had over $2000 in mileage deductions according to Turbotax, which is more than I owe, but I still owe $824. Why would this be?

Without the mileage the amount owed was a bit over $1000, but with the $2000 in mileage credits applied it only went down to $824. Is something being applied incorrectly here?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I had over $2000 in mileage deductions according to Turbotax, which is more than I owe, but I still owe $824. Why would this be?

No, it sounds reasonable since mileage is not claimed as a tax credit.  It is a business deduction.

If you are claiming mileage, then you must be filing Schedule C for self-employment.  That means that you are subject to self-employment tax and income tax based on the overall income of your business.  

The mileage deduction does not reduce self-employment tax or income tax dollar for dollar.  It reduces your business income, which then lowers the self-employment tax and your income tax.  

@trevorlang94

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Makes sense, thank you very much for the reply!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies