turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had my 2017 1040 done by an outside source and now I need to amend it. Am i going to lose all of my information from the past couple of years?

I had my 2017 1040 done by an outside source and now I need to amend it. Am i going to lose all of my information from the past couple of years? I have several years worth of figures for a couple of small businesses I've had as well as vehicle figures, carryovers, etc. 

Due to circumstances back in 2018 I needed to have an outside party complete my 2017 1040. I believe I need to recreate my original in TurboTax, save it, then amend it. However, I am not certain how to 'connect' the previous years data from past returns when I open the newly created 1040 to amend it. 

It seems when I go to start a new return I am asked to import information from past years, which I did.

But then when I go to amend it, since I didn't use the past years information for the 'original' it all disappeared and will not allow me to carry through those figures. 

For example, the outside party did not any of my business vehicle or office depreciation information so it was, of course, not included on the 1040. But those are the very reasons I need to amend it, to include all of that info that was left off. Plus, I would like it to carryover to future years.  

I knew this would be a pain, which is why I have put it off. But all of my tax history and figures are in TurboTax for the last 8 years or so. It is my 'trail' of information. I have no idea how i would even start to rebuild so many tedious configurations. 

Please tell me that I am missing a setting or something similar and how I can move forward. 

Thanks so much, in advance, for any help, suggestions, or guidance anyone can provide.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I had my 2017 1040 done by an outside source and now I need to amend it. Am i going to lose all of my information from the past couple of years?

Do not transfer the 2017 info you have into the 2018 return since the accountant did not use it... it only makes the situation much more difficult.     Instead you will need to enter it from scratch and when you have the original return exactly as it was filed you need to choose to "mail" in the return in the FILE tab then close the program.   When you reopen it the option to amend it will be available ... then make the changes you need to make although not sure why you did not return to the accountant to have the 2018 amended.  

Oh no, perhaps I wasn't clear. I was in the hospital for many months and needed my 2017 quickly done by a friend so I could use that return money to pay some bills. I knew at the time I would need to, at some point after I recovered, amend the return to include many deductions from a couple of side jobs I had to offset some 1099's.  So I need to recreate the 2017 1040 in TurboTax, save it, print it, then reopen it to be able to amend it.

So I ignored the information TT brought forward from previous years because I know the original needed to be EXACTLY as the one already submitted. But once I go to amend the newly recreated 2017 1040, so that those figures could transfer to the 2017 1040X, TT no longer shows me the figures from 2016 and earlier to bring forward. For instance, all of my vehicle information and depreciation for various equipment just kind of disappeared.  It seems like because I didn't use that information, or claim those vehicles, on the original 1040, which I had just recreated,  that I must not need need them any more and TT does not give me the figures to work with to carry forward credits and depreciation to the 2017 1040X or on to future years.

Does that make better sense?

And Thank You very much for your quick reply 🙂

You have a mess ... again you will need to start the  2017 return  all over again and transfer in the 2016 info if it is needed then recreate  the 2017 return AS FILED originally.  Only when the return looks exactly like how it was filed can you amend the return to make the corrections.   If this is too much for you to do then seek assistance from a friend or local professionals. 

I KNOW! It's an awful mess. What seemed, at the time, to be an easy, albeit inconvenient task, has turned into a huge project. Thank you for your help. I'll give it a try and hopefully not make more of a mess. 

Have a blessed evening.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies