turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had $10,000 in business miles but it only took off $3,000 in miles. I thought you're suppose to get all $10,000 taken off?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

I had $10,000 in business miles but it only took off $3,000 in miles. I thought you're suppose to get all $10,000 taken off?

The mileage deduction is based on business miles driven.  The business mileage deduction for 2019 was  .58 per mile. As an example of the deduction if you drove 10,000 miles your deduction would be $5,800 ( .58 x 10,000)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello, the miles driven was actually about 18k miles. So the deduction should be about $10k taken off, however the deduction showed at the top only dropped about $3k

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Business miles are not a dollar for dollar deduction. Look at your form. You might have gotten a $3000 reduction from the 10,000 miles.

If I drove 10k miles for business last year, it’s .58 a mile, so that’s $5800, do you get the full amount deducted from your taxes or only a percentage?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you drove 10K miles for business, you would get a business expense for $5800.

The business expense would reduce your business earnings (or increase your business loss) by $5800. If you have a Schedule C business it appears on Line 9 of the Sch C. How much the business expense is worth to you depends on your tax rate. If your income is positive and you are in the 12 percent bracket, this would save you roughly $1,566 (12 percent income tax and about 15 percent SE tax). If you were in the 22 percent bracket you would be looking at roughly $2,146 (22 percent income tax and about 15 percent SE tax).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies