Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got rejected by turbo tax so I went somewhere else to file my taxes...will i also get rejected there?

Is it ok to file somewhere else since turbo tax rejected my return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

I got rejected by turbo tax so I went somewhere else to file my taxes...will i also get rejected there?

If your federal return was rejected by the IRS using TurboTax e-file option, you can file through another company if you did not correct it and refile. But first, it is advisable to closely review the reason code in the email you received from us. If you correct the tax return you can refile in most instances through TurboTax and not have to go another provider.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302275

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

31 Replies
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If your federal return was rejected by the IRS using TurboTax e-file option, you can file through another company if you did not correct it and refile. But first, it is advisable to closely review the reason code in the email you received from us. If you correct the tax return you can refile in most instances through TurboTax and not have to go another provider.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302275

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Also, if you have already filed through the other company then don't refile with TurboTax.
Yes, you may get rejected by the IRS through the other provider if you haven't correct the issue for the rejection.

thank you very helpful
Anonymous
Not applicable

HOW DO FIX THIS ISSUE IRS SAY MY AGI IS NOT CORRECT REJECTED RETURN BUT IM 100 SURE AGI IS CORRECT. WHAT SHOULD I  DO
crevels73

request a free transcript of previous tax returns from the irs this may take 7-10 business days..

IF I GOT REJECTED ON TURBOTAX BECAUSE IT SAYS MY BIRTHDATE IS WRONG BUT ITS NOT AND NEITHER ANYTHING ELSE IS WRONG, IVE GONE OVER IT MULTIPLE TIMES, AND I CANT GET AHOLD OF SSA OR IRS TO SEE IF THEY HAVE MY BIRTHDAY INCORRECT. CAN I REFILE THEM SOMEWHERE ELSE ?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Fatimar236 ,  (a) the rejection does not come from TurboTax  but from the taxing authority  ( IRS or the State );

(b) if you check and find that everything is correct, then only option is to file by mail -- this will mean a human will get involved  and  may solve the problem;  (c) IRS  uses SSA file to check name , SSN and Birthdate and sometimes the SSA file is wrong ( for whatever reason ).   If the error persists  then you may have to go visit the SSA local office and they can give  you a letter certifying your  birth date, name and SSN -- you may have to send this  to the IRS to update their records --- that is  worst case scenario -- generally getting human intervention may resolve the issue.

Hope this helsp

Did turbo tax still charge u even tho you got rejected and went somewhere else? Customer support was telling me that even if I got rejected they are still guna charge me 200 whether I go threw them or not 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Yes you will still be charged if you are using a paid version to file. If you are rejected you can correct the rejection and re-file your return. 

hlb8734
Returning Member

Why did I get a phone call from intuit saying my federal return was rejected, yet I already received an email and text saying they were approved? And they still say approved on the website? 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Because if you submitted your tax return here, they were pending until the IRS started accepting.   But then you also filed somewhere else and that return was accepted before the one you submitted on TurboTax.   Since your return was already accepted somewhere else, the one you completed here was rejected.   You can only file 1 tax return per year.   Once your social security number has been accepted on a tax return, any future returns with your social security number on them will be rejected.   @hlb8734

You can ignore the rejection notice if your tax return was accepted through another e-file service.  

hlb8734
Returning Member

I didn’t file through anyone but turbo tax. I am just replying to the thread because I can’t get any explanation. I just don’t understand why it says accepted on TurboTax yet I got a call saying it was rejected also. IRS still says pending not approved. I have to do an amendment anyway I just need to know if it was accepted or rejected to know if I can fix it and resend or amend after the fact. It’s just misleading and confusing. I’ll try and go by the IRS website not TurboTax I guess. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@hlb8734 TurboTax does not call people unless you asked us to call you. There are scammers that know millions of people use TurboTax. The best method to know what is happening is the IRS at Where's My Refund.

The IRS will reject or accept a return within 48 hours. If your return does reject, you can correct the situation and not have to file an amended return. If the IRS does accept, here is how to file an amended.

Once your return is accepted and the finances are settled, you can file an amended return. 

@hlb8734

This is a common issue this year for some reason. My aunt and two of my nieces are getting the same rejection notices when filing with turbo tax. The code always mentions that it is the wrong AGI even thought he correct numbers are being entered and for one niece, this is her first file ever so that should definitely not be an issue. Mine was accepted but for some reason is on hold with the irs. This year has been incredibly frustrating. We even called in an an agent said my aunts was finally fixed only to have it reverse to rejected again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies