Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kpg1211

I got a message when I tried to efile that says; "we could not process your tax data for electronic filing. you will have to print your return and send it by mail. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I got a message when I tried to efile that says; "we could not process your tax data for electronic filing. you will have to print your return and send it by mail. Why?

@kpg1211 

Underneath your question above it shows you are using "Free Edition online."  Is that correct?  Or did you indicate the wrong product?     Are you using Online TurboTax or are you using desktop software (CD/download)?

Was your error for a Federal or a state return, or did it not differentiate?

Step through the screens of the REVIEW section.  Is there any indication there?

Do you have any taxable income, or is this a zero-income return?

kpg1211

I appreciate the quick response. I'm just gonna end up mailing them in. I just don't feel like dealing with it.

Thank you.

Silvroak91
Returning Member

The message read: We could not process your tax data for electronic filing. Is there a way to try sending just my federal return only?  I have 5 state returns to file that I can mail but would like to efile my 1040. I have tried different browsers. 

@Silvroak91 wrote:

The message read: We could not process your tax data for electronic filing. Is there a way to try sending just my federal return only?  I have 5 state returns to file that I can mail but would like to efile my 1040. I have tried different browsers.

I assume you are using Online TurboTax since you mentioned a browser.  It should allow one to efile 5 different state returns in addition to the Federal return.  The desktop software (CD/download) only allows 3 different state returns per Federal return.

When you go through the FILE section, you can choose which returns to efile.  However, in order to efile any state returns you have to either efile them at the same time as the Federal return, or efile the Federal return first, and then efile the state returns once the efiled Federal return has been accepted.

In order to efile just the Federal return, if you're using a paid edition, you can select to file only the Federal, but it will still make you pay for the 5 state returns as well first, unless you delete them.

Do you have any idea why it won't let you efile it all together?  Is that the extent of the error message?  Can  you tell if it is something in your Federal or a state return?

Is there any income on your Federal return, or is it a zero-income return?

Are you filing in the USA, or are you filing from a foreign address?

When you step through the screens in the REVIEW section, is there any clue?

If you wish to phone TurboTax Support:

Support hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern), Mon-Fri

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies