Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HeathHeath123
Returning Member

I filed the recovery rebate for the 2nd stimulus and now my check showed up in the mail. What do I do now?

Do I cash the check and amend my return or do I send the check back to the IRS and wait for the $ in my refund?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I filed the recovery rebate for the 2nd stimulus and now my check showed up in the mail. What do I do now?

NEW - YOU CAN GET YOUR RETURN BACK!  But just by today Feb 6.  Don't know what time.

If you filed and claimed the Recovery rebate credit and then received the full Stimulus payments you can call it back and update your return so it isn't delayed

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-ve-already-claimed-the-recovery-rebate-credit-ho...

HeathHeath123
Returning Member

LOL it didn't work. Filled out the info, sent it to them, never got a reply back. Called TurboTax help line and the lady kept telling me that I was wrong and I couldn't change anything. She also said it wasn't her department that handles this but for some reason couldn't transfer me to the right one. Ended up hanging up on her. Thanks anyway.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Please check your spam folder. If your email is not there please click here for assistance getting connected to the right person for help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HeathHeath123
Returning Member

No email in any folder and customer service says they can't fix it. Already have to wait longer for my return because it's a paper check and now it will take twice as long because my return is incorrect. Thanks TurboTax.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Don't cash the check and definitely don't destroy it.

The IRS has not addressed this yet. They will not open until February 12 and at that time they will start to see situations like yours. You would not be able to amend until that time and in the meantime, they may establish a guideline. 

Information is continuing to be updated. Please see this LINK for more information.

Solved: Claimed $600 Recovery Rebate when I filed taxes ye... (intuit.com)

HeathHeath123
Returning Member

BS. TurboTax had a page to submit your info to fix your return and re-submit it if you filed it early and made a mistake on the recovery rebate. They messed up on their end and poor customer service. Going to cash the check I'm not waiting an extra month for the $600 and my return. Thanks TurnoTax✌ 

HeathHeath123
Returning Member

LOL TurboTax 👎

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I expect the IRS to scrutinize stimulus payments that were issued against the tax returns that claim the Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC).  This is what the IRS calls the stimulus payments that are issued through the 2020 Federal tax return.

When we receive direction from the IRS, it will be reported at the TurboTax COVID Tax Center and the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is rejected by the IRS, you will have the opportunity to correct the entries and calculations to generate the Rebate Recovery Credit as well as correct the entries that generated the rejection.

HeathHeath123
Returning Member

Good like I said I'll cash the check and let my taxes get rejected. Not waiting another month for something I should have received already. Never using TurboTax again after this year.  Could have been corrected, TurboTax messed up on their end plus poor customer service.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies