Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my federal with TaxAct, but didn't do my state. when I filed federal with TurboTax it says that I should be getting more, will the IRS give me the difference?

I already received my federal taxes, just wondering if I go through with TurboTax, if the IRS would give me the difference in what I received and what TurboTax says I should get.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I filed my federal with TaxAct, but didn't do my state. when I filed federal with TurboTax it says that I should be getting more, will the IRS give me the difference?

It actually does not matter how you file your returns.  What matters is the information entered on your returns as submitted on your original return.

You will not be able to submit your return electronically again as the IRS will show that this return with this identification number has already been submitted and therefore will reject the filing.

If based upon your input into TurboTax, you see the amount is different than the return you already filed, you would need to prepare an amended return to reflect the corrected information and then file that return with the IRS.

Do I need to amend my return

I have included a link below with steps to amend your 2020 income tax return in TurboTax.

How to amend your return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 1040-X for an amended return will be ready here at the end of March.  But, if you feel that TaxAct made an error, you should contact them first.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies