turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed HOH bc I worked.I did include my boyfriend, my son’s Father on my return as well. Will he get stimulus check, should he file return, don’t want to get in trouble

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

I filed HOH bc I worked.I did include my boyfriend, my son’s Father on my return as well. Will he get stimulus check, should he file return, don’t want to get in trouble

The rules for claiming your boyfriend as your dependent on your return:

Qualifying relative provided:

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4,200 in 2019

• You provided more than half of his financial support.

Since you made more than the threshold, your boyfriend would be required to file an amended return.  IRS Publication 17, page 26.

You should file a paper return with the IRS correctly claiming your income.  The IRS will send a letter stating that someone else claimed you on their return.  At this time you will be able to dispute him claiming on his return. 

Since you claimed your boyfriend as a dependent on your return, he would not be eligible for the Stimulus Payment.  You will receive $500 on his behalf.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Just to be clear he did not work. No income by him.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

As you claimed him as a dependent on your tax return, he is not eligible for the stimulus check.

I did file him under as a dependent. Will I receive the money for him and myself? I don’t believe I got any money for claiming him?

He’s not in school. He’s over 24 yrs old. Should he file with no income so he can receive it?

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

As a dependent on your tax return, you are getting a credit of $500 for him. But he is not eligible for the stimulus payment.

See you say I did but it doesn’t show me receiving anything for him. Did show amount for our son but no money amount at all for him

I did claim him but didn’t receive any money for him. Can he legally claim taxes with no income and receive one?

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

The rules for claiming your boyfriend as your dependent on your return:

Qualifying relative provided:

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4,200 in 2019

• You provided more than half of his financial support.

Since you made more than the threshold, your boyfriend would be required to file an amended return.  IRS Publication 17, page 26.

You should file a paper return with the IRS correctly claiming your income.  The IRS will send a letter stating that someone else claimed you on their return.  At this time you will be able to dispute him claiming on his return. 

Since you claimed your boyfriend as a dependent on your return, he would not be eligible for the Stimulus Payment.  You will receive $500 on his behalf.

Bees
Level 7

The Child Tax Credit offers up to $2,000 per qualifying dependent child 16 or younger at the end of the calendar year. There is a $500 nonrefundable credit for qualifying dependents other than children Nerdwallet.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxes/qualify-child-child-care-tax-credit/

If you did not have a tax liability that year then you would not get a benefit for claiming him as a dependent . The credit can only take your tax to zero  not give you additional money.

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/coronavirus-stimulus-check-questions-answers-2020-4

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

Oh ok since I did claim him a dependent I won’t get 1,200 for him but only $500 even though he is an adult. I’ve already filed I’m not amending. I didn’t want to file for him if we could get in trouble for it. I was told if you made no income you could file with no income that way you receive the stimulus check? Is that correct? 

Are you sure I will receive $500 on his behalf bc it says dependents under 17. He is not under 17.

@coldjuly wrote:

Are you sure I will receive $500 on his behalf bc it says dependents under 17. He is not under 17.

No, you do not receive $500 for your bf.  If you claim your child as a dependent on your tax return and the child is under the age of 17 then you would receive $500 for the child.

You receive $1,200 as the taxpayer.  Your bf does NOT receive any stimulus since he is a dependent.

erich1

Hello,

My son's name (age 16) shows up on the description of a $1200 stimulus deposit. ("IRS TREAS 310 TAX REF....<my son's name is here>"). Background:

- This deposit went into the account I share with my wife

- We did married but filing separately in 2019

- We each have one child listed on our separate 2019 tax forms 

- My son had a small part-time job and did his own taxes last year

Questions:

- Whose name is supposed to appear?

- Will each of us get a stimulus?

- Does he get a stimulus for his part-time job?

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies