turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I extended my 1040 through turbo tax but my extension payment is not showing on the return. Where can I enter it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I extended my 1040 through turbo tax but my extension payment is not showing on the return. Where can I enter it?

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

The federal extension payment will be shown on Schedule 3 Line 9. The amount from Schedule 3 Part II Line 13 flows to Form 1040 Line 31

TDSLC

I encountered this problem also.  I filed for extension of my 2021 return, paying the additional tax I thought I would owe (using Turbotax to file the extension).  I filed for an extension because I did not have all the official tax documents that I needed in mid-April.  When I revisited the software months later after receiving all the necessary tax documents, I found that the payment made when I filed for the extension was reflected in my refund amount when I first opened the Turbotax, but disappeared later.  I wasn't sure what happened.  I eventually discovered that when I went through the interview the 2nd time (months after filing the extension), when I was asked if I wanted to file an extension, I said "no" (thinking that I had already done that).  Saying no meant that for computational purposes, the amount I paid with the filing for an extension was not propagated through the forms/worksheets to the final 1040.  I went back to that portion of the interview and answered "yes" to whether I wanted to file an extension.  In doing so, the original payment I had made when I filed for extension was propagated through the system and properly credited on the 1040 (and of course in my refund amount...).  The real difficulty with this problem was that one cannot enter the amount manually on the 1040 form directly (the data field goes back through numerous forms -- Schedule 3, 1040 Worksheet, Tax Payment Worksheet, to Form 4868  -- none of these can be edited directly!).   So go back through thr interview and say YES to the extension question.  Good luck!

@TDSLC 

When you requested your extension you were supposed to pay your estimated tax due.  Did you enter the payment you made into your tax return?  Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Other Income Taxes 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies