Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered the wrong year entered 2020 I want to file 2019

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You cannot file a 2019 tax return with the Online version.  The Online version is only to prepare the current years tax return (now it is for 2020).

To file a 2019 return with TurboTax, you would need to download their desktop software.  The return would need to be mailed, you cannot e-file a 2019 tax return.

You can purchase the 2019 tax software from TurboTax at the following website (or check the internet for the software)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Clear the 2020 return.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2020 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

To complete and file a 2019 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2019 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2019 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

To add:  If you entered information into the Online version, you can use TurboTax Clear & Start Over option to remove the 2019 information.

As long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you can erase your return and start from scratch in TurboTax Online.

1. Sign in and select a topic to continue your return.
  2. On the next screen, from the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then Clear & Start Over (select the menu icon in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies