turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I entered both my wifes and my w2's under my name in 2018 not sure how as both our names were all over the return. Any ideas? How to avoid this for 2019's return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I entered both my wifes and my w2's under my name in 2018 not sure how as both our names were all over the return. Any ideas? How to avoid this for 2019's return?

Importing your info into TurboTax is easier than ever before! You can import your info directly from over a million employers.

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select the search icon at the top of the page and search for W-2 and select the Jump to link.
  3. Select Work on my W-2 now and Continue.
  1. If you've already entered a W-2, select the Add another W-2 button.
  2. Enter your Employer Identification Number (EIN) from Box b on your W-2.
  3. If your W-2 can be imported, you'll come to the Great news! We can automatically import your W-2 info automatically screen. Provide the requested information to complete your import.

If TurboTax doesn't recognize your EIN you can use the TurboTax mobile app, you can snap a photo of your W-2 using your smart phone.

You can also manually enter your W-2. We've got instructions for TurboTax Online and the TurboTax mobile app.

Import your W-2 in TurboTax CD/Download

Requirements to successfully import your W-2 directly from your employer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks but I did all of that and successfully filed my 2018 return it was accepted by the IRS and paid. I had someone point out to me yesterday I entered both myself and my wifes W2 for 2018 under my name only based what he saw on my 2018 filed return. Any idea how this could happen? 

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

IRS may have disregarded the error being you guys are filing joint. It will not change the bottom line of your taxes anyway.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies