Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Chapelray57
Returning Member

I e filed my 20/20 tax return with TurboTax I forgot to apply for the recovery rebate credit how do I do that

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I e filed my 20/20 tax return with TurboTax I forgot to apply for the recovery rebate credit how do I do that

The IRS will not calculate the Recovery Rebate Credit for you so you'll have to amend your income tax return to claim it. Wait for the IRS to process your return before you amend.

At this time, you're not able to  amend a 2020 income tax return. As of today, it's estimated that the IRS will finalize the 1040X form on 3/18/2021. However check the forms availability to see any updates to that date. 

Generally, Form 1040-X,  Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, must be filed within three years of the date the original return was filed, or within two years of the date the tax was paid, whichever is later.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You only apply for that credit if you did not receive the first two stimulus payments.  Is that your situation? 

(Some folks incorrectly think this is how you apply for stimulus #3, but that has not yet been enacted into law by Congress.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies