turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I dont have my home interest paid statement from last year yet . They are resending it but the tax due date is almost here. Should i file for extension or amend my taxes later?

I dont have my home interest paid statement from last year yet.  its our biggest tax credit. They are resending it but the tax due date is almost here. Should i file for extension or amend my taxes later? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I dont have my home interest paid statement from last year yet . They are resending it but the tax due date is almost here. Should i file for extension or amend my taxes later?

Thomaselliottusa,

If you are sure that you are going to get a refund, just sit back and wait for the 1098 form to arrive.  There is no penalty for filing for a refund after April 18th.  If not, then put in last year's figure to see if you are well into refund territory.  If so, just wait.  If not, then file an extension form(s) with at least a token payment, say, perhaps, $100, so that the IRS (and state if you have state income tax) does not deem you of not having filed on time if you end up owing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies