turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't see anywhere to claim my overpayment of estimated taxes from 2019 applied to 2020-how do I do that?

The section for estimated taxes already paid specifically said Not to include any overpayment carried over from the previous year
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I didn't see anywhere to claim my overpayment of estimated taxes from 2019 applied to 2020-how do I do that?

To enter, change or delete a refund from the prior year applied to this years taxes (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the options under 2019 Refund Applied to 2020

Or enter refund applied to this year in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to refund applied to this year

The prior year refund amount applied is shown on Form 1040 Line 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since I didn't know or see that and already filed, can I fix it by doing an amended return?

@Anonymous wrote:

Since I didn't know or see that and already filed, can I fix it by doing an amended return?

You can amend the return to enter the amount applied with the 2019 refund.  However, the IRS may well catch that on their end since they know what you have in your tax account.  So wait for the IRS to process the tax return if the return is Accepted by the IRS.

Once a tax return has been filed it cannot be changed, canceled or retrieved

You will have to wait for the IRS to start accepting or rejecting 2020 tax returns on February 12, 2021
If the return is rejected you can make the necessary changes and e-file again.
If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies