turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn’t receive one of my daughters stimulus package the second round. How do I claim it and get it back on my taxes?

Didn’t receive the second stimulus can I claim it and get it now?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I didn’t receive one of my daughters stimulus package the second round. How do I claim it and get it back on my taxes?

It depends.  if your daughter is a dependent and was under 16 in the 2020 tax year, you can claim it as a credit on your return.

1. Log into turbo tax
  2. Click on Federal Review 
  3. Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount>continue
  4. Next screen asks Did you get a stimulus payment? Yes
  5. Then a drop down will appear and this is where you enter your first and second round stimulus payments.
  6. Here you will record all of the stimulus money your family has received in the first and second rounds. Turbo Tax will then recognize if there is a stimulus payment missing in the second round for your child and issue a $500 credit in your return. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am eligible for second dependent stimulus, but did not receive. Turbo tax is telling me I received all the stimulus money I am owed, as is IRS website. But that is not correct. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Your daughter must otherwise qualify as your dependent and be under the age of 17 at the end of 2020 to qualify. 

Report what you actually received by filing the Recovery Rebate Credit. This is done by following these steps:

1. Go to the search box and enter stimulus. Click the Jump to link.
  2. Answer Yes.
  3. At the next screen, Let's double-check the amount you received, answer No to edit the first-round and second-round amounts.
  4. If no stimulus amount was received, enter 0. An amount must be entered in each box. When finished, click Continue.

For more information, see: Recovery Rebate Credit — Topic B: Eligibility | Internal Revenue Service

Are you responding to me or the original poster?

If you’re responding to me, you’re not getting what I’m saying. The IRS website and TurboTax (when filing my 2020 taxes) both say I received everything I am eligible for pertaining to my second stimulus; $600... when in fact I am eligible for a dependent  stimulus as well (of which I received the first round of stimulus). My tax situation has not changed, no one claimed my child, I don’t owe child support or any of the suggested reasons why I would not receive the dependent payment. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Make sure that the dependent is correctly reported as a qualifying child on your tax return.  IRS FAQ state:

Who is considered a qualifying child?

A qualifying child is a child who meets the following conditions: 

• Relationship to the individual who’s eligible for the payment: The child is your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, grandchild, niece, or nephew).
  • Child's age: The child was under age 17 on December 31, 2019.
  • Dependent of the individual who's eligible for the payment: The child was claimed as your dependent on your 2019 tax return or in the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool.
  • Child's citizenship: The child’s a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien.
  • Child's residency: The child lived with you for more than half of 2019.
  • Support for child: The child didn’t provide over half of their own support for 2019.
  • Child's tax return: The child doesn’t file a joint return for the year (or files it only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid).

The payment will include $600 for each qualifying child listed on your 2019 tax return with a valid SSN or ATIN.  

Do you and the child have Social Security numbers?

The TurboTax software adds together the entries that you made for receiving stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2.  Then the software computes the amount of your stimulus check amounts based upon the information that has been entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

If you believe that you are due a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return, then you should: 

• Check the amounts entered for stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2, and
  • Make sure that you have correctly entered your dependent information.

If there is a difference, it is in one or both of these situations. 

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You can also access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries. 

​​​​​​​See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies