turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jafet420

I claimed head of household, 2 kids and a adult as a dependent on my income tax im trying to find out how much will my stimulus check will be

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I claimed head of household, 2 kids and a adult as a dependent on my income tax im trying to find out how much will my stimulus check will be

First, it depends on your filing status: if you’re single, the payment is $1,200, but it doubles for a married couple filing jointly to $2,400. It also depends on your family size; you’ll get an additional $500 for every child under the age of 17. If you are claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return, you are not entitled to any payment at all.
For high-income taxpayers, it depends on just how high your income goes; a married couple will start to lose the payment once adjusted gross income (AGI) exceeds $150,000, and the same will occur for a single taxpayer once AGI exceeds $75,000.
Your payment also depends on whether or not you have filed your 2019 tax return.
According to the new law, the IRS is going to look first to your 2019 tax return to compute the payment. If no 2019 return has been filed, however, the IRS will grab your 2018 return instead. (If you receive Social Security and don’t need to file a return, the IRS will send you a payment based on your Form 1099-SSA).
An individual who has not yet prepared his or her 2019 return should take into account the relevant variables — adjusted gross income, marital status, number of children — and determine which year would yield the bigger payment. If it’s 2019, then you’d better hurry up and file; if it’s 2018, then delay filing 2019 return back until you receive your payment

jafet420

I didnt claim her as a dependant in 2018 but claimed her as one in 2019 she didnt file for 2019 cuz she didnt work at all does she need to fill out the form for her to recieve a stimulus check? I got it yesterday and it was for me and my 2 daughters 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You will not get a stimulus payment for an adult dependent.  Additionally, since she was claimed on your return she will not be eligible for a stimulus payment this year. 

The best way forward at this point is to wait until filing your 2020 return and not claim the adult dependent on that return.  She would then become eligible for the refundable stimulus credit by filing a return next year.  

You can only be paid one time.  Since she did not receive a payment this year she can next year.  Since you received payment this year you won't be eligible next year.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies