turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mtroen

I am unable to enter the IP PIN on TurboTax Deluxe 2018. The screen is not permitting a number to placed in the box. HELP!!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I am unable to enter the IP PIN on TurboTax Deluxe 2018. The screen is not permitting a number to placed in the box. HELP!!!!

Is it not allowing you to deposit any numerical digit at all in the entry box?  Not even a single digit?   Please confirm which particular screen you are trying it on and what Deluxe product you are using--desktop or online.

Or are you trying to enter the 6-digit IP PIN in the wrong place?   It is NOT entered in the File section, which is for a 5-digit filing PIN.

NOTE:   You didn't say if you are using desktop TurboTax or online TurboTax.  All 3 methods work for Online TurboTax.  The first 2 methods work for desktop TurboTax, too, although in the first method in desktop software you may see a link "Jump to IP PIN".

The IP PIN is a 6-digit Identity Protection PIN provided by the IRS to certain victims of ID theft.

Here's how to navigate to enter the IP PIN into TurboTax.  I've listed 3 ways to get to the right place to enter the IP PIN.  You only need to use one method.   You can choose which method works for you the best.

• Once the return is open click in the top right corner on SEARCH.
  • Enter IP PIN without quotes then click the magnifying glass
  • It will ask "Do you need an IP PIN?"  Scroll down a little to a button "Go to IP PIN".
  • Next screen asks:  "Did you get an IP PIN from the IRS for this year's taxes?"
  • If you choose "yes", it will have you enter it.   

Or here's an alternate navigation:

• In the left menu column, click Federal.
  • Then at the top Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info.
  • Choose Identity Protection PIN and Start (or Revisit.)
  • Next screen asks:  "Did you get an IP PIN from the IRS for this year's taxes?"

Or here's a third way:

• Open your return if not already open.  ("Take me to my return.")
  • Once the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then choose TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose TOPIC SEARCH.
  • Enter IP PIN without quotes.
  • In the selection list highlight IP PIN and click GO.
mtroen

THANK YOU!  Method No. 2 finally worked.  BTW, I have TurboTax Deluxe 2018 for Mac and I am using it on my desktop on a MacBook Pro.  Your first method simply does not work - no search feature except for the "Help" menu - which is unable to find "IP PIN".

Appreciate the Sunday evening effort!

You're welcome.   I can't comment in regards to the Mac software.  I use a PC.   The Mac version does not have an identical approach to things as the Windows software.

The windows desktop version has a search feature in the top right corner.  When you enter IP PIN (without quotes), and click FIND, you get a result "Jump to IP PIN."

I don't know where the search feature is located on the Mac product, but I'll ask @macuser_22  to comment for future reference.    In any case, it's a moot point since one of the methods (the traditional navigation method) has worked for you.

Rejected by IRS, turbotax is rejecting me so I am unable to insert correct IPP pin

Rejected by IRS, turbotax is rejecting me so I am unable to insert correct IPP pin

@desano1917 wrote:

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies