Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bfhensel
Returning Member

I am trying to edit my 2016 & 2017 taxes with a loss from 2018. I have downloaded the software, but have no idea where to go from here.

I tried calling TurboTax, but they won't let me get past the phone tree. I paid for the maxassurance (~$300), but can't get ahold of a person. It is easier to get someone from the IRS on the phone than TurboTax.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am trying to edit my 2016 & 2017 taxes with a loss from 2018. I have downloaded the software, but have no idea where to go from here.

What kind of loss?  Is it a Capital Loss Carryover?

Enter a Capital Loss Carryover under

Federal Taxes or Personal (Home & Business)

Wages and Income

Then scroll down to Investment Income

Capital Loss Carryovers - Click the Start or Update button

I don't know what you paid for but nothing costs that much.  Much less.  Turbo Tax phone support is closed now until Monday Jan 6.

Contact Customer Service
Monday - Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

bfhensel
Returning Member

I believe it is a capital loss carryover. My business took a loss in 2018 and I need to bring that loss back 2 years to 2016 and 2017. 

Thank you for your answer. I called turbotax, but they kept kicking me out of the phone tree. They are never able to find my "account". They kick me out before I am able to talk to a person. 

I tried entering the capital loss in the software, but it will only me enter a loss from 2015, not 2018. 

I paid for the max assurance package when filing in 2018. I was able to talk to an accountant and everything, but can no longer do so. I had an epicly complicated return last year and wanted the audit insurance. That's why I went with the $300 or so max assurance package. 

That is not a Capital Loss.  Capital Loss is on Investments.  For Business you have a NOL.  I don't know how those work, sorry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies