turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amandais

I am trying to download my 2017 Tax Return (e-signed version.) I purchased the "premier" 2018 version specifically to do this. It still will not let me download.

The website keeps telling me to purchase the 2018 "Premier" Desktop app, which I DID - but my 2017 return is not available in that app and the website will NOT allow me to download directly. Need this ASAP. I just spent $110 for something that does not work.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Jakpub
Returning Member

I am trying to download my 2017 Tax Return (e-signed version.) I purchased the "premier" 2018 version specifically to do this. It still will not let me download.

I need mine my 2017 as well. I haven't downloaded PLUS or any other version yet...hopefully someone updates accordingly. Sorry for your headache!

@amandais 

Unfortunately, if you are referring to a past online return, that is not the method to unlock a prior return.  You purchased the wrong product.   You are confusing "PLUS" and "Premier."   If you prepared a prior return in Online TurboTax, and access is now locked, the normal method to unlock access is to upgrade a current-year online return to PLUS for 19.99--not Premier.    However, the "PLUS" method is currently unavailable until December as I'll explain in a comment below for another user.  In any case, your situation with the wrong purchase can only be handled by Support.

You'll need to phone TurboTax Support tomorrow and tell them what happened; i.e., that you purchased the wrong product.  Ask for a refund for your 2018 Premier, and see if they will unlock your prior-year return.   Since you bought Premier, you do have phone privilege.  

Use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and the proper operating system, then indicate you have the Premier Edition.   For the issue just say "billing issue" without quotes.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Moved.  Scroll down.

@ Jakpub  wrote:  " I need mine my 2017 as well. I haven't downloaded PLUS or any other version yet."

If you prepared a prior return in Online TurboTax, and access is now locked, you may have to wait until the first week of December, but I'll tell you some things to try below.   Online TurboTax is currently in the November limbo period, which occurs each year after it shuts down after filing season.  Online TurboTax for 2019 opens the first week of December, and at that time one can start and upgrade a 2019 online return to PLUS and pay 19.99, which will unlock all prior returns.

Or if you need it sooner, you can try this as a possible workaround.  NOTE:  The interface in this method may not be fully functional when Support is closed.   But here is a  possible workaround to try when they are open. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Mon-Fri.  They are closed on weekends this time of year.

Log in, and at the main Tax Home page immediately go to the top right corner and click HELP.   Scroll way down beyond the suggested links and click on CONTACT US.

You may have to enter a question.

Choose to phone TurboTax Support, or it may say schedule a callback.

In any case, it may then ask you to pay for PLUS (19.99) to have phone support.

Once paid, then past returns should be unlocked.

It's not clear if during this November limbo period that method pays for 2018 PLUS or 2019 PLUS, but in any case, the net effect is unlocking prior returns, plus it gives you phone support privilege.   If it pays for 2019 PLUS, then you have an extra year of access.   You should be saving a copy of your return and/or PDF each year anyway (in a protected and secured safe place) so you don't have to worry about access problems.

Or you can try to contact TurboTax Support on Tuesday, but you may not be able to reach them:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

If you can't use those methods, another option is to download a free 2017 tax return transcript from the IRS if you qualify to open an IRS account.  A transcript by postal mail takes 5-10 days.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Also, if you need a prior return urgently and can't unlock it by that workaround above during business hours, and can't reach TurboTax Support by phone, you can contact TurboTax Support via messaging at Twitter or Facebook, tell them your situation and that you are a victim of the limbo period, and see if they will unlock the returns for you.    Social media support is also only during the business hours I mentioned above.

https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax
or
https://www.facebook.com/turbotax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies