Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am over 65 and want to file Form 1040, not Form 1040 SR for 2020. How do I do this using Turbotax Premier download?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I am over 65 and want to file Form 1040, not Form 1040 SR for 2020. How do I do this using Turbotax Premier download?

Why are you even worried about it?

FORM 1040 and FORM 1040SR

There seems to be a considerable amount of confusion and worry regarding the new Form 1040SR.  There is no need to worry if your return is on a Form 1040SR this year.

Compare the Form 1040 and the Form 1040SR with each other.  The lines are the same.  The calculations will be done exactly the same wayThe difference is the 1040SR has larger print and a different background color. There is no effect whatsoever on your tax due or refund amount.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s.pdf

I personally think it is great that I will not need a magnifying glass to look at my tax return this year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
APC2

When I buy the Version that I normally use, will using the 1040-SR as an option or do I need to purchase a specific program?

@APC2 wrote:

When I buy the Version that I normally use, will using the 1040-SR as an option or do I need to purchase a specific program?

See the answer above your post - in TurboTax that are the same.  The 1040SR is only different if you download blank forms and fill then out by hand.    The TurboTax interview is the same and will print the 1040SR if you qualify and print for filing.  If you e-file then the form type is immaterial since notactual form is sent, only the tax data is.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The 1040SR is new starting in 2019.  It is the same as the regular 1040 just larger type and the Standard Deduction chart is added to page 1.  But has the same line numbers.    You automatically get the SR if you are 65.  If you are using the Desktop program there is a way to force the one you want.

Even the regular 2019 1040 return is now different than 2018.  They changed the line numbers again and reduced the new schedules from 6 to 3.

1040SR https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s.pdf

1040 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

If you use the Desktop program you can switch to forms and the Info Wks part II has a selection to select 1040SR or not.  You can not change it in the Online versions.   In the Online version if you want to use the regular 1040 form, you can print out the 1040SR and copy the amounts onto the 1040 and then mail your return.

I personally think it is great that I will not need a magnifying glass to look at my tax return this year. "

@VolvoGirl 

don't misplace your magnifying glass since all the other attached Forms and Schedules are in the same font size as ever.

It's quite ridiculous.

I think it's awful and condescending to automatically choose and force me to file 1040-SR instead of the standard 1040. I DO NOT NEED LARGE PRINT--MY EYES ARE FINE AND SO IS MY BRAIN. I may have turned 65 this year, but I'm not automatically vision impaired or mentally impaired. Insulting in the extreme.

Blame Congress.   They specified the 1040SR for age 65 up.

But that is only for paper returns.   Electronic return the 1040 and 1040SR are exactally the same until you print it on paper.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

And if you are using the desktop version then you can switch to the forms mode and select the Information worksheet. part II and select NO (don't use 1040SR).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies