turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bhola64da

I am not able to import 2018 Tax Returns PDF file; getting an error, saying file is too big. Please help to import the file

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I am not able to import 2018 Tax Returns PDF file; getting an error, saying file is too big. Please help to import the file

It depends.

Are you trying to print it or download it?

If so, please use the following link for instructions.

Accessing prior year returns in TurboTax

The PDF copy would not be imported into your return.  It can only be downloaded onto your computer or printed.

If you are trying to do something else, please comment with what you are trying to do so we can assist you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the same problem.  I am not trying to print or download the PDF file.  I am trying to import a 2019 .PDF file into TT 2020.  

The program says, "We support files from TurboTax (.tax2018 & .pdf)".  But when I Browse and select the .pdf file I want to import, I get the error message "This import was unsuccessful.  The file you selected is too big. Make sure you selected the right file.  Don't worry, if it's still too big, we'll help you enter the info manually so you can keep working on your taxes" with an OK button. 

And you installed the 2020 Desktop program ok?  If it says it you can import a 2018 file that sounds like you are in the 2019 program.  Or did you type the year wrong in your post?

jg2rd

I am having the same problem.  I have used the online Turbotax for 8 years.  I am trying to import the 2019 PDF into TT 2020 for Windows and it says "the PDF is too big."  Please advise.  Is there a way to go back online and save last years return as a .TAX2019 file?

Yes ... log back into the ONLINE account ... scroll down ... click on 2019 and download the required .taxfile... you may need to start the 2020 return until you can see the TAX HOME option in the menu on the left ...

PriorYearDocs_2.png

conniect
Returning Member

I have used Turbo tax for many years and this is the first time encountering the same error.  Still have Turbo Tax 2019 in the same computer and even tried to resave the files. However, still getting the same error message.  

Turbo tax team, please investigate and resolve

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

If you are trying to import a PDF that is a scanned copy instead of an actual PDF file, it won't work. If that is not the case, you can download the .tax data file again and then use the FAQ link provided below to import into TurboTax Online, if that is what you are trying to do. If this is not what you are trying to do, please let us know:

How do I transfer last year's return into TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies