turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am married and work in Texas, but my wife lives in Kansas and is working in Oklahoma temporarily. Can we file MFJ for Federal and MFS for her state taxes?

I have income from TX and she has income from OK and KS. She worked in OK for 6 months in 2019 and will be there for another 6 months in 2020 to finish up her temporary internship. I believe she should still be considered a resident of KS. I know TX does not require state taxes, but OK and KS do. Do I have to file MFS so that I can keep my TX income off of her state taxes? Or can I file MFJ for Federal and MFS for her OK and KS state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I am married and work in Texas, but my wife lives in Kansas and is working in Oklahoma temporarily. Can we file MFJ for Federal and MFS for her state taxes?

Yes, you can file your Federal Return jointly.

If your wife considers Kansas as her Resident State, she could file a Resident return to Kansas separately, as you suggested, and report all of her 2019 income there.  She will get credit for any tax she paid to Oklahoma.

She can file a Non-Resident Return to Oklahoma, reporting only her income earned/taxes paid there.

Click the link for more detailed info for filing Non-Resident State Returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file your Federal Return jointly.

If your wife considers Kansas as her Resident State, she could file a Resident return to Kansas separately, as you suggested, and report all of her 2019 income there.  She will get credit for any tax she paid to Oklahoma.

She can file a Non-Resident Return to Oklahoma, reporting only her income earned/taxes paid there.

Click the link for more detailed info for filing Non-Resident State Returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies