Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WH25

HSA excess contributions error

My husband and I are employed by the same entity. My husband carries the HDHP for our family and the associated HSA account. I do NOT have a separate HSA account. Annually, our employer contributes $2050 to my husband's HSA which is clearly indicated on his W2 as code W in box 12. Our employer also contributes $250 to my husband's HSA account on my behalf which is indicated on my W2 as code W in box 12. TurboTax thinks we both have an HSA and is claiming $250 in excess contributions for me. THere is a page that askes if each of you has an HSA or FSA or MRA. It defaulted to having HSA checked for both of us. So I changed it to None of the Above for me but when I click continue, it reverts back to thinking we both have an HSA. I guess since my employer listed the $250 as code W in box 12. How do I fix this?!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

there is no such thing as a joint HSA.  if the employer put the contribution on your W-2 the HSA is supposed to be in your name.  maybe your employer is messing up.  if the $250 is going into your husband's account it should be on his W-2, not yours.    have you received your 5498-SA's which are supposed to report HSA activity and come from the trustee/custodian?     

WH25

@Anonymous We have the 1099-SA for his HSA. It shows the $250 from my W2 in with his annual contribution total. Sounds like my employer needs to fix our W2's, right? Or could I just enter the $250 on him...just add it to what his box 12 has on his W2 & leave it off mine? Since that is truly what happened anyway. Or is that a red flag

BillM223
Expert Alumni

If your employer truly put $250 of your pay into your husband's HSA, then it should be marked with code W in box 12 on your W-2.

However, in the screens right after your W-2, you should have told TurboTax that the entire amount went to your husband's HSA.

HACKITOFF is right that there is no such thing as a joint HSA (even though you both benefit from it). You could actually have your own HSA.

NOTE: the 1099-SA will not show contributions; did you mean the 5498-SA?

No, don't have your employer change the W-2s. Make sure that you told TurboTax that the $250 went to his HSA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies