turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

juanl94
Returning Member

How to import 2018 tax return for 2019 taxes

I used turbo tax to file my taxes in 2017 and credit karma for 2018. For 2019 I am using Turbotax again but I see that it has 2018 taxes recorded as if I had filed with them. When I open the 2018 document that turbotax has saved, it is just a blank 1040 form with all zeros filled in. How can I import my actual 2018 tax return from the pdf generated by credit karma to my turbo tax account? When I try to fill out my 2019 taxes turbo tax is using that blank 2018 form to "pre-fill" my information but it is using all zeros for any numerical values. Even if I can't import the credit karma PDF is there a way to overwrite the "pre-filled" data that turbotax is pulling?

Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Clear your tax return and then transfer the 2018 tax data from the PDF 

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2019 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for transferring 2018 tax data to the 2019 online tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

juanl94
Returning Member

It doesn't give me an option to import from a PDF. When I clear and start over, it just automatically imports the blank 2018 return that is saved on turbotax. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, it must be a tax file. 

A PDF will only transfer personal info and AGI

The link below should help you:

Transfer tax file

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am using turbo tax business on my windows desktop.  I am unable to upload my 2018 return into my 2019.  I click the upload button and the available files to upload are none.  That occurs when I am on Turbo Tax Files (*.tax2018).  When I go to All Files I can see the 2018 return saved but when I upload it I get an alert that says that it can't read this type of file. 

Please help. 

@provo2020 wrote:

I am using turbo tax business on my windows desktop.  I am unable to upload my 2018 return into my 2019.  I click the upload button and the available files to upload are none.  That occurs when I am on Turbo Tax Files (*.tax2018).  When I go to All Files I can see the 2018 return saved but when I upload it I get an alert that says that it can't read this type of file. 

Please help. 

If you are using the TurboTax Business Edition for Partnerships, S Corp, C Corp, Estates and Trusts you cannot transfer a 2018 tax data file from one of the TurobTax personal editions to the 2019 Business Edition.

Thanks for the reply.  I have a call scheduled with Turbo Tax, 99 minute wait though.  Do you know if I can switch my edition to one that will allow this import?  I have way too much info to start from scratch. 

@provo2020 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I have a call scheduled with Turbo Tax, 99 minute wait though.  Do you know if I can switch my edition to one that will allow this import?  I have way too much info to start from scratch. 

The only TurboTax desktop editions for 2019 that you can use which will accept a 2018 tax data file from one of the other personal editions would be either the 2019 Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business edition that can be purchased and downloaded from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You said you were using the Business Edition.  That edition Only supports Partnership tax returns, Form 1065, S Corp tax returns, Form 1120-S, C Corp tax returns, Form 1120 and Estate and Trust tax returns, Form 1041.  The Business Edition cannot be used for a personal tax return, Form 1040.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies