turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Abdi1
Returning Member

How to download 2019's purchased CD into my online account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

What do you mean into your online account?  If you bought the Desktop CD or Download you install it on your computer  and use it on your computer.  It is separate from your Online account and online returns.  You can not apply the purchase to an Online return.  

Or are you asking about something else?  Like transferring a return from last year?

WilMa

I currently have an online account and have used it for years.  Can i apply the licence number from the turbo tax CD i purchased as payment for my online account?  I do not see an field to enter the licence number to begin completing my 2019 return. 

thanks.

@WilMa wrote:

I currently have an online account and have used it for years.  Can i apply the licence number from the turbo tax CD i purchased as payment for my online account?  I do not see an field to enter the licence number to begin completing my 2019 return. 

thanks.

Only the TurboTax desktop edition software installed on your computer need a license code.  There is no code required for the online editions.

The desktop and online editions are totally separate programs with separate price points.

If you decide to use the online editions instead of the purchased software from TurboTax - Go to this TurboTax website to request a refund for the software purchased from TurboTax - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

Note - From a user standpoint the desktop editions are far superior than the online editions.

rlholland13
Returning Member

This isn't a good way to do business in my view!! I have spent days trying to complete my taxes online with Turbotax and after completing everything found that the only way I could finish and file it was by purchasing turbotax for $50.00 . Because of this I ended up going to Amazon and purchased Turbotax Deluxe for 31.86 with tax and now because of your online versus CD/download turbotax programs not being able to communicate I'm having to start all over. With everything being online and account's being online and app accessible this appears to be a little strange to me. PLEASE put something on your website identifying this so others aren't spending time having to re-do everything like I am. Thank you

@rlholland13 

You could have downloaded the 2019 tax data file from the online edition and then continued the return with the 2019 CD/Download desktop edition.

To download the tax data file from an online edition -

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen.

Click on Tools

Click on Save your 2019 return to your computer

Even before you pay for the online version you can switch to the desktop version and you won't have to re-enter your information. To continue in the desktop version see this…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

You can put your tax data file on your computer under the Home icon, then open it in the desktop by purchasing either a CD or buy the download. After you download and save your .tax file to your computer you just OPEN it in the program. You don't transfer or import it. But first you need to update the desktop program to the latest version and install the state program if you did a state return before you can open the tax file.  So you might have to first start a fake return in the desktop program so you can download the state program.

lzqylr001

Yes, I used CD last year and online 2017 and 2018. I want all three years in the same place. Can I do that?

lzqylr001

Just had the same experience, cost me $140. Very dissatisfied with not being able to consolidate three years of tax data because the online and CD versions are different. Bad business!

If you used the CD last year to do your 2018 return you can not upload it to your online account to store or save it.  But you can transfer it into a 2019 Online return.

What do you want to do?

You can download (and should) your online returns to your computer as both the pdf and .tax files.  In case you ever need a copy like to get a loan or to amend one.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies