turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kerih333

How to account for 2017 return filed in 2019 with refund applied to 2018

Hello,

I have a multi-year issue due to late filing.  In 2018, I filed my 2016 return and received a refund.  Let's say that was $1000.

In 2019, I filed my 2017 return, and received a refund that was applied to 2018.  Let's say that one is $2000.

Now trying to file 2018.  I have a 1099-G for $1000 - the amount I received in 2018.  However, I also need to show the $2000 applied to the 2018 state taxes paid (verified with state that the $2000 was applied to 2018).  I seem to only be able to make TurboTax do one thing or the other, but not both.

I tried just overriding the state tax refund amount on the 1040 to be $1000, but that causes error messages.  Any ideas?

TIA for any help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Ok ... you are confused ... those 2 items do NOT get entered in the same place.  

First the 2016 refund received in  2018 ...  If you itemized deductions it is entered in the 1099-G in the income section  of the 2018 return which I think you already did. 

Now for the 2017 return filed in 2019 for which the refund was applied to the 2018 return ... that is considered a 2018 estimated payment ...

Go to the Federal Taxes tab (Personal tab in TurboTax Home and Business).

Click on Deductions and Credits.

Click on Jump to full list.

Scroll down until you see the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section and click Show More.

Find Other Income Taxes and click Start/Revisit. 

2017 Refund Applied to 2018 and choose Start/Revisit to appropriate section.

Dedbird66
Returning Member

I need to do my 2017 and 2016 taxes 

You can only buy the download for prior years. You have to buy a separate program for each year. They only sell the last 3 years. You need a full Windows or Mac computer to install it on. You can buy any version. All the Desktop programs have the same forms. You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions. Buy the download here

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products

You have to print and mail prior year returns. When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return. Don’t forget state.

How to file a prior year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-prepare-a-prior-year-tax-return/00/25...

Or if you have a simple return you can get the blank forms from the IRS and fill them in by hand for free. I have a list of some of the basic ones I can post a direct link to.

For blank prior year IRS forms go to
https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/priorFormPublication.html

kerih333

@Critter I don't think I was clear enough in my original post.

I need to edit the refund applied to 2018 on my STATE return.   I can't get the state return to show the full credit as taxes paid without having it also increase the amount of 1099G income on the federal return.  

I appreciate your response and any help you can give now.  Sorry for the delay in responding.

I fully understand your situation ... you are not understanding the answer.  

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number
They are available M-F  from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies