turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do overide filing status?

I have a situation where a parent provided more than half support to child although child made more than 4200.  program is insisting single status .  The correct status should be Head of Household.  The program is not allowing me to change the filing status..????

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If your child is 19 or older (or 24 or older and a full time student), you cannot claim him/her as a dependent if his/her gross income is more than $4,200 in 2019. This is the case even if you provided more than half of your child's support, If you cannot claim your child as a dependent, you are not eligible to file as Head of Household.

Please read this TurboTax article on Who can I claim as a dependent?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unless they changed the ruling on this, the deal is the qualifying person has to be a relative but does not have to be your dependent.   Have I missed a change in the rulings??

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The rule is that you have to be able to claim the person.  You don't have to claim the person, but you have to be able to claim them.  

Do I qualify for Head of Household in 2019?   There is a link in this help article that describes what a qualifying person is to qualify you for Head of Household status.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

mother and son live together whole year.  son makes 15000.  mother makes 133000.

she provided more than half his support however he claimed himself.

she qualifies for Head of Household status.  He is 22 yrs old.

Head of Household - qualifying person has to live with you for more than 6 months and has to be a relative.  But does not need to be your dependent,,,,

@Magnie wrote:

mother and son live together whole year.  son makes 15000.  mother makes 133000.

she provided more than half his support however he claimed himself.

she qualifies for Head of Household status.  He is 22 yrs old.

Head of Household - qualifying person has to live with you for more than 6 months and has to be a relative.  But does not need to be your dependent,,,,

If he is not a full time student you cannot claim him as a dependent since he had gross income of $4,200 or more.  Since you cannot claim him as a dependent then he is not a qualifying person for Head of Household filing status.

Go to IRS Publication 501 Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information page 10 Table 4 Who Is a Qualifying Person Qualifying You To File as Head of Household? - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf#page=10

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies