turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bconklin

How do I upgrade to Live Premier while keeping what I already entered in the Home & Business Desktop version (90% done) and minimizing cost?

I bought TurboTax Home & Business for the Desktop and have my return about 90% done. However, I would like to move to TurboTax Live Premier to get some help entering a Final K1 that I received from an LLC that liquidated last year. I want to make sure I do it correctly. How do I upgrade while keeping what I already entered in the Desktop version and minimizing cost?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I upgrade to Live Premier while keeping what I already entered in the Home & Business Desktop version (90% done) and minimizing cost?

Sorry but you cannot do that.   You cannot transfer a 2020 return that you started using desktop software to online TurboTax.   If you really want to use TurboTax Live then you will have to start all over from scratch.   Not quite sure what you mean by TurboTax "Home"----do you mean Home and Business?   

If you are using desktop Home and Business and have income from self-employment or from being an independent contractor---then if you use online TurboTax you need Self-Employed--not Premier.   Only online Self-Employed can prepare the Schedule C you need if you are self-employed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-turbotax-live/00/27191

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Sorry but you cannot do that.   You cannot transfer a 2020 return that you started using desktop software to online TurboTax.   If you really want to use TurboTax Live then you will have to start all over from scratch.   Not quite sure what you mean by TurboTax "Home"----do you mean Home and Business?   

If you are using desktop Home and Business and have income from self-employment or from being an independent contractor---then if you use online TurboTax you need Self-Employed--not Premier.   Only online Self-Employed can prepare the Schedule C you need if you are self-employed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-turbotax-live/00/27191

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you buy the Desktop CD/Download program it doesn’t have access to the Live CPA support.  Only the Online versions have Live support.  See the Note at the bottom of this

If you want the LIVE expert help and review you need to use the Online version.  You can't apply the Desktop CD/Download purchase to Online.  You have to pay for Online separately.  You will have to get a refund for the Desktop program.  Then you can use the Online web version.  You will have to start your return over in the Online version.

bconklin

Thanks, I just requested a refund for the Desktop version. We'll see if TT accepts. Not happy about having to repurchase and re-enter everything :(

Also, it cut my question off before- yes I was using Home & Business. I updated the question to include the full thing now.

I hope it works out for you.  It might not be worth it to switch to online just for the Live service for 1 form.

If you used the Desktop program before you may not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2020 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies