turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I refile to get my taxes back my employer wasn't to take out taxes because I'm exempt.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I refile to get my taxes back my employer wasn't to take out taxes because I'm exempt.

Why do you think you are exempt from having to pay federal income taxes on wages earned from an employer?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Being exempt from withholding is not the same as being exempt from paying tax. The tax that your employer withholds from your pay is just an advance payment towards the tax that you have to pay for the year. Your tax return calculates your total tax for the year. Any tax that was withheld from your pay is applied towards your total tax for the year. If the amount that was withheld is more than the total tax that you have to pay, you get a refund of the excess. If the amount that was withheld is less than the total tax that you have to pay, you have to pay the difference when you file your tax return. Even if your employer withheld the wrong amount, it gets straightened out on your tax return.

If you can legitimately claim Exempt on your W-4, and your employer does not withhold any tax, you have to pay any tax that you owe when you file your tax return. Being exempt from withholding does not mean that you are exempt from paying tax.

Only income tax (box 2 on your W-2) can be refunded. You cannot get a refund of Social Security tax or Medicare tax (boxes 4 and 6 on your W-2).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies