turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get my covid relief check if I was claimed on my parents income tax and they did not receive my covid check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I get my covid relief check if I was claimed on my parents income tax and they did not receive my covid check?

If you are over 17, your parents don't qualify to receive the stimulus check for you.  Dependents have to be under the age of 17 at the end of 2019.

View solution in original post

To add:  If you are under 17, then the IRS will send you a letter regarding your payment & also have instructions on what to do if you did not receive the correct amount.  It can take about 15 days to receive the letter.

Sorry but your mother cannot get the $500 stimulus money for you since you are over 17.  Since your mother claimed you on her 2019 return, you would not qualify for the stimulus money even if you file your own return because you are a dependent on someone else's return.

4 Replies

If you are over 17, your parents don't qualify to receive the stimulus check for you.  Dependents have to be under the age of 17 at the end of 2019.

To add:  If you are under 17, then the IRS will send you a letter regarding your payment & also have instructions on what to do if you did not receive the correct amount.  It can take about 15 days to receive the letter.

I am over 17. My mother has provided for me all year due to an illness. My Mother claims me on her taxes due to this situation. She did get her $1200.00 and I am wondering if I can get either the $1200 since I did file in 2018 or can I get the $500 for my mother?

Sorry but your mother cannot get the $500 stimulus money for you since you are over 17.  Since your mother claimed you on her 2019 return, you would not qualify for the stimulus money even if you file your own return because you are a dependent on someone else's return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies