turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxalette
Returning Member

How do I force TurboTax to e-file my New York State return? It is telling me that I can only mail the return, however the law is to e-file.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

How do I force TurboTax to e-file my New York State return? It is telling me that I can only mail the return, however the law is to e-file.

The reason that you're experiencing difficultly with e-filing a New York state tax return is almost certainly due to the fact that the TurboTax software won't allow that to happen, when the user has first selected (or was forced into) the paper file option for their federal tax return.  There is no way to "fix" this, or to change the software program to accommodate a New York state e-file. 

The underlying reasons for this, however, are that the New York Department of Taxation and Finance needs a taxpayer's Form 1040 (federal return) in order to process the state return.  Where there exists no e-file version of the TurboTax user's federal tax return, it is not possible for the software to create one just for a New York e-file effort.  Also, in an effort to combat tax return identity fraud (theft), in cooperation with the state revenue authorities, it is not possible in TurboTax to e-file just a state tax return alone, without an accompanying e-file federal tax return.

Thus, despite New York's mandate for e-filing, you are left with a couple of reasonable choices. 

Probably the easiest thing to do, however, is to simply ignore the New York e-file mandate (for the very good reason that you are unable to comply in TurboTax, having already paper filed a federal tax return), and print and mail your state return to New York, along with signed copies of Pages 1 and 2 of your Form 1040.  Here is a link to the valid, official, New York mailing addresses that you can use for this paper filing purpose:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/return_assembly_mail.htm

taxalette
Returning Member

Thank you for your reply. In this situation, I had simultaneously e-filed my federal return when it told me that my New York State return could not be e-filed and had to be mailed. Therefore the reason that my New York State return could not be e-filed because the software could not include a Federal 1040 doesn't apply unless the software cannot do this. If the software cannot do this, then that is a failure on behalf of the software which should simply be acknowledged because they are not complying with the law.

rpfederman
Returning Member

I am having the same issue regarding filing in New York. I am trying to file both Federal and State at the same time. For Federal, I can select e-file, but it is telling me I have to mail for New York. Is there any way to fix this in the system? Thank you. 

taxalette
Returning Member

I found out today that no one can e-file with New York because the form NY IT-2 called Summary of Form W-2 Statements cannot be filed electronically through TurboTax. Yep, that's right a form that is the summary of your W-2(s) cannot be e-filed using TurboTax. So basically, somehow nobody can e-file in New York using TurboTax, which is bizarre. TurboTax told me themselves that IT-2 is unsupported for e-filing (see below) and placed the blame on NYS Dept. of Taxation saying they require e-filing but don't accept an electronic IT-2. However, when you call the NYS Dept. of Taxation, they say that this is a TurboTax problem. So, basically it's a stalemate and you have to print , sign and return your NYS tax return. And they don't tell you that up front then charge you the full $40, and they won't credit you for their lack of transparency or you having to pay to mail your forms in.

This is copied from the Intuit NY form list:

New York Individual Form Availability

Form NY IT-2, Summary of Form W-2 Statements
Print: available
E-file: unsupported
rpfederman
Returning Member

Wow. That's pretty absurd. Thanks so much for replying to my question with all of that information. Maybe if enough people push Turbo Tax on this, they'll refund our $40. 

taxalette
Returning Member

Yeah, no problem. It's a ridiculous situation, and I'm glad to know it's not just me. I felt like I was the first person to ever file their NYS tax return with TurboTax. However, there's also a third person now:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/why-wont-it-let-me-efile-my-new-york-state-return...

rpfederman
Returning Member

Yes - I'm grateful to know it's not just me banging my head over here trying to figure out if I'd done something wrong. Of note, I checked my 2019 filing that was done through Turbo Tax and the NY IT-2 worked perfectly fine last year...

Manage cookies