Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I fill in my bank info: Bank direct deposit # and my bank account #

I'm using "basic download" software, and I filled in my taxes, however, the software did not prompt me to fill in my bank info, such as my bank direct deposit number and my bank account number.  How can I fill in this info.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@gnabboud wrote:

I'm only filing Federal tax since I'm an expat and no need to file state tax.

Under the "file" tab that you mentioned, there are 4 options: File a return,  Print/Save for your records, Final Steps,  and Check e-file status.  Which one to use, since I'm afraid to use "File a return" and end up filing without the bank info.  Please advise.  Thanks

You start with File a return and Continue.  The program asks you how you want to file your return.  The program then goes through all the steps needed to file your tax return to include asking for bank information of direct deposit of the federal tax refund.  All the questions are asked before you get to the final step to transmit the tax return.

Only you can initiate the transmission of the tax return by clicking on the orange button "Transmit my returns now".

Note - The direct deposit of a tax refund can only be deposited into a US bank located in the US.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Any bank information for a direct deposit or a direct debit are entered in the File section of the program.

Can you please advise which tab to use under "file", since I don't want to use the wrong one and endup e-filing without the bank info.  This is the first time I'm using turbotax software.  Thanks for your support

@gnabboud wrote:

Can you please advise which tab to use under "file", since I don't want to use the wrong one and endup e-filing without the bank info.  This is the first time I'm using turbotax software.  Thanks for your support

After you have completed the federal and state tax returns the program will take you to the File section.

Or you can click on File at the top of the desktop program screen.

There are 5 tabs at the top of the desktop program screen -

Personal Info

Federal Taxes

State Taxes 

Review

File

Under the "file" tab that you mentioned, there are 4 options: File a return,  Print/Save for your records, Final Steps,  and Check e-file status.  Which one to use, since I'm afraid to use "File a return" and end up filing without the bank info.  Please advise.  Thanks

@gnabboud wrote:

You start with File a return and Continue.  The program asks you how you want to file your return.  The program then goes through all the steps needed to file your tax return to include asking for bank information of direct deposit of the federal tax refund.  All the questions are asked before you get to the final step to transmit the tax return.

Only you can initiate the transmission of the tax return by clicking on the orange button "Transmit my returns now".

Note - The direct deposit of a tax refund can only be deposited into a US bank located in the US.

HI,

I followed your steps, and reached the orange button "Transmit my returns now", but the software did NOT ask me for my bank info.

What I did earlier is: I switched to "Forms" option, and clicked on "Info Wks" and under "Part V", I filled in manually the "Routing number" and "Account number".  Is this enough? Would this bank info be populated automatically when I e-file?  I'm using the TurboTax Download Basic software.  Thanks 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

To view your banking account information, please follow the steps below:

To review previously-entered bank account info, simply revisit the File section in TurboTax.  Follow the prompts for Step 1. When you get to Step 2, this is where the bank account information will be. Follow the prompts to view/edit your bank account information. 

Please click Where do I enter my bank's routing or account number? to learn more. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello,

I'm not getting a refund, but I still need to fill in my bank info since any upcoming new future stimulus package will be automatically direct deposited to my bank if the bank info is already filled in.   Please note, I'm using Turbotax windows CD/download software in my PC,  for the first time  (before I used to file manually by downloading tax forms from IRS web).   Do I understand from your reply that if there is no refund, then the CD/download software will not prompt me to enter my bank info?  Could this be the reason? 

In my opinion filling the bank info should not be related to whether you are expecting a refund or not, like the hard copy, you fill in the bank info regardless if there is a refund or not.  Please advise. 

In addition, it seems the CD/Download version is not compatible with the online version. Since checking the links that you specified seems only related to the online version. Thank you

@gnabboud wrote:

Hello,

I'm not getting a refund, but I still need to fill in my bank info since any upcoming new future stimulus package will be automatically direct deposited to my bank if the bank info is already filled in.   Please note, I'm using Turbotax windows CD/download software in my PC,  for the first time  (before I used to file manually by downloading tax forms from IRS web).   Do I understand from your reply that if there is no refund, then the CD/download software will not prompt me to enter my bank info?  Could this be the reason? 

In my opinion filling the bank info should not be related to whether you are expecting a refund or not, like the hard copy, you fill in the bank info regardless if there is a refund or not.  Please advise. 

In addition, it seems the CD/Download version is not compatible with the online version. Since checking the links that you specified seems only related to the online version. Thank you

The IRS does not require and does support the entry of a bank routing and account number on a federal tax return if there is not a federal tax refund or federal taxes owed.

BobJ21152

The TurboTax software is missing bank data input for both state and federal returns. If you call up the form, you can enter it manually for the Federal return. It won't work for the state return forcing you to print and mail it in. Shame on Intuit! I'm using the pricey Home and Business version.

@BobJ21152 wrote:

The TurboTax software is missing bank data input for both state and federal returns. If you call up the form, you can enter it manually for the Federal return. It won't work for the state return forcing you to print and mail it in. Shame on Intuit! I'm using the pricey Home and Business version.

If you have a tax refund or taxes owed the option to enter a bank routing and account number are shown in the File section of the program for direct deposit or direct debit.  If there is not a tax refund or taxes owed there will not be an option to enter bank information. 

The bank information in the File section of the program is part of all the TurboTax editions, desktop and online.

Hi,

I faced this issue, where the software did not prompt me to enter the bank info, since I was not getting a refund.

So I entered the bank info manually using the form option for my federal tax (This is after I called Turbo Tax customer support).  When my thirds stimulus check refund was expected, I did not get the money through direct deposit, instead got it through a paper check (almost 3 weeks delay).  I called IRS, and they told me the bank info was empty and was not transmitted.  So the manual option for entering the bank info did not work for me.

Turbo Tax must fix this issue.  I don't understand why TT don't allow to enter the bank info even you are not getting a refund.  I used to fill my taxes using hard copy papers, and I always write my bank info.  If TT does not fix this issue, then I'm going back to the hard copy option.

Hope this info helps

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies