Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rcmn23608

How do I file when I have no income to report?

This is my first tim using tubotax. I want to file my taxes even though I didn't make any income this year. I couldn't report any w2s. But there was no section to select if I had no income to report.  I'm worried I am doing it wrong, because when I go to file I get a message saying I am getting a large tax return. But this isn't possible.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

What are you trying to accomplish by preparing and fileing a tax return if you had no income?   Did anyone else support you during 2021?   If you could be claimed as someone else's dependent then you are not eligible for the recovery rebate credit or child tax credit.   Do you have amounts on line 28 or line 30 of your Form 1040?   Did you receive any of the stimulus checks that were sent in 2020 or 2021?

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

Do not try to file the tax return you prepared until you have replied and answered the questions you are being asked here.  Click Reply to answer here in the user forum and keep your answer in this thread.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Do you need to file a return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/filing-and-paying-taxes/help/do-i-need-to-file-a-federal-return-th...

IRS Do I need to file?

Do I Need to File a Tax Return? | Internal Revenue Service

See IRS pub 501 for filing requirements

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

If you still want to file without income you can enter $1 of interest so it will let you efile.

@rcmn23608 - if you have no income, there is no requirement or reason to file UNLESS

1) you are trying to get the 3rd stimulus payment'

2) you have children that are eligible for the Child Tax Credit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies