turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ropertcr

How do I file State taxes which is a refundable amount and not file FEDERAL taxes which is where I own taxes? how do I do that through Turbo tax.

I am receiving Refund from State and own FED. Can I file for State through Turbo program without filing Federal Taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do I file State taxes which is a refundable amount and not file FEDERAL taxes which is where I own taxes? how do I do that through Turbo tax.

For fraud protection, you cannot file a state tax return using TurboTax until your federal return is efiled and accepted. You can file your federal return now and pay the taxes owed later. You have until July 15 to pay them without incurring any interest or penalty. If you still can't pay by then, you may be able to arrange late payment or a payment plan. 

@ropertcr 

While you can't efile the state return in that scenario, you can print and mail it.   But you will still have to pay for both the Federal and state returns before it will let you print the state return.

Your state may also require a copy of the Federal return be enclosed.  Consult the instructions for your state return.  There should also be a page that prints called Filing Instructions.

NOTE:  If you do that, however, then if you later make changes in the Federal return, you may have to prepare an amended state return.   So when push comes to shove, I wouldn't advise filing the state return first.  However, I'm a fellow user, not a tax person.

@ropertcr 

I added a note above that even though it's possible to file the state return first by mail, it may not be advisable, since your state may require a copy of the Federal return be enclosed with the state return, and if you make any changes in the Federal return later on, you may have to amend the state return.

I'm a fellow user, not a tax person.  All things considered, Champ TexasRoger's advice above is the better route.

Also, if you decide to efile both the Federal and state returns now as Texas Roger suggested above, you should be able to get the state refund faster than if you mail the state return, where it could be tied up for weeks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies