Re: How do I file a complaint against TurboTax? - Page 4

How do I file a complaint against TurboTax?

I filed my taxes in April. Since then the message on Where's My Refund is my taxes are still being orocessed. I know that is not on Turbo Tax but their collecting my fee when I have told them since this thing has jhappemned I don't have the funds to pay out of pocket. That is why I asked for it to be taken from my refund. They took my money and now my mortgage payment which is already behind now won't go through. I managed to get a modification but it has to be paid on time. Now it won't be and my family and I will be homeless. THANK YOU TURBO TAX!!!! Plus I thought they were not supposed to do the fee thing after the class action suit which I declined to be a part of since they had done a good job for me in the past. NOW, I WON"T BE USING THEM ANYMORE AND I WILL TELL ALL I KNOW NOT TO USE THEM. FLY A KITE IN A HURRICANE TURBO TAX!!!

My complaint is totally about the no customer service way to much automated service not enough help.  It’s your Tubrotax program that’s not working and may have crashed I’m using a MAC computer.  We have tried numerous times to get help. 

This company has to have the worst customer service I have ever seen. Been trying to get ahold of them for days. Sat on a 3 HOUR WAIT yesterday. I don't care what the situation is on their end. 3 hours is completely unacceptable. Just trying to find out if I filed my State Taxes correctly. It would take an agent less than 5 minutes..

Last year I had problems with Turbo Tax software, and even tech support could not get the problem resolved.  I stayed with them on the phone for hours.  Finally, I just manually did my taxes. 

This year, on July 15, at the eleventh hour, I was ready to file and could not because of some "Coop" glitch on Schedule C that I could not get resolved.  I tried all the suggestions I found, but none worked, and this year I could not find where tech help was available. Then the only thing I could do was change from e-file to mail, but then the system would not take my bank information for the amount that I owed.  The system kept going back and fourth, from one screen to another screen, and back to the previous screen that I had just looked at.  It was stuck in a loop that I could not get out of.  By this time 12:00 PM was approaching, and I could not not get my return filed on time.  Nothing I tried worked.  All I could do was print the forms to mail tomorrow.  Lucky I had enough ink to print all the papers, because I was getting warnings that I was running very low on ink.  Now, I have to mail my return tomorrow, and hope the IRS doesn't charge me a late fee. Also, TurboTax ask me to start my state tax and transferred all my information to the state form, but it turned out that I didn't have to file state tax, but TurboTax charged me $50.00 for nothing.  I HATE TURBOTAX AND WILL NOT USE IT AGAIN.  

Greetings,

To whoever this concerns. I’m a working middle class citizen who files a tax return every year and I cannot get an update on my refund nor can I get the stimulus that I’m owe. Every time I call I’m on the phone for 2 hours or more and then the call drops. I know you (IRS) don’t care and my complaining is falling on death eyes. You all need to do better. I want what’s mine. I tried filing via Turbo tax and my 2019 return kept getting rejected and now I have to mail all paperwork in again which is senseless

I've been using Turbo Tax online for over a decade without problem. I have to upgrade to the $99 version, because I am self-employed. For tax year 2019, Turbo Tax neglected to send an entire form to the IRS. It also calculated my refund at $237, when the IRS actually said I owed $390. I tried to contact Intuit about this, but there was no response.

Will look for an alternate online filing system next year.

The worst is all I can say I've bin waiting 7 months for my tax return and havnt herd or got any notifications on my tax return. In times like this I really need my money but I cant un fortunately. I call a representative and all they tell me is that do to the corona virus u cant get your money direct deposited in to your account. How many people do you really need to send money in to my account. This is the first time and the last I use turbo tax!

@Yusel wrote:

Did you e-file your tax return and was it accepted?
Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Note - Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions
If over 21 days since being Accepted by the IRS and the tax refund is still Processing you can call the IRS and speak with an IRS agent concerning your tax refund.
Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.
Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment
Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area. See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

I’m lodging a complaint to you for charging me unnecessary! I only made a 7,020.00 in income I  should have been able to file using the free TurboTax, however, when I tried to do my taxes your program wouldn’t allow me to use it for free; instead forcing me to upgrade and pay for the program I didn’t need and Products I  will ever use.  I will never use TurboTax again. Your company should be turned over to  the Better Business Bureau 

sincerely, Anita Sue Pettengill 

I filed my taxes back in January -- because turbotax didn't prompt me to include my health care tax credit form 1095A, my refund was never issued. Once I was alerted to this missing doc (by the IRS- who by the way said this was a turbotax error affecting many) and sent in the forms, lockdown had started. I have been in constant contact with the IRS re: my return and basically it's anyone's guess when those docs will be gotten to and my refund processed. When I called to discuss this with turbotax, and ask that they refund the $200+ I paid to have my taxes done, they said it was an IRS error and turbotax taxes no responsibility for it (even though they never contacted me once they knew the form was needed) and basically it was my problem and they weren't refunding one cent to take ANY part in this error. This is during a pandemic when the economy has collapsed and people are struggling to survive. Bet this has affected SO MANY who this money would essentially save. What gives, turbotax, because this kind of seems like theft and negligence to me.

I filed my taxes back in January -- because turbotax didn't prompt me to include my health care tax credit form 1095A, my refund was never issued. Once I was alerted to this missing doc (by the IRS- who by the way said this was a turbotax error affecting many) and sent in the forms, lockdown had started. I have been in constant contact with the IRS re: my return and basically it's anyone's guess when those docs will be gotten to and my refund processed. When I called to discuss this with turbotax, and ask that they refund the $200+ I paid to have my taxes done, they said it was an IRS error and turbotax taxes no responsibility for it (even though they never contacted me once they knew the form was needed) and basically it was my problem and they weren't refunding one cent to take ANY part in this error. This is during a pandemic when the economy has collapsed and people are struggling to survive. Bet this has affected SO MANY who this money would essentially save. What gives, turbotax?Because this kind of seems like theft and negligence to me.

Dispute the credit card charge, that's what I did. This problem is widespread, and they can't shift blame to IRS for their mistake.

You literally forgot to e-file my 2019 federal taxes, yet still suggest its my problem and expect me to pay the $3,000 IRS penalty.

You even retracted on your 20% refund once you stated this.  

Absolutely spineless corporation.

@rggeorgeson93 

"You literally forgot to e-file my 2019 federal taxes...."

TurboTax does not e-file your tax return for you.  Only YOU can go all the way through the FILE section to click that big orange button that says "Transmit my returns now."  If you did not do that yourself then your tax return was not filed.  Now it is too late to e-file.  A 2019 return can only be filed by printing, signing it in ink, and mailing it.

Not sure what $3000 penalty you are referring to.   The IRS charges interest and a late filing penalty if you miss the deadline when you owe tax due.  There is no penalty if you are getting a refund.

Or what 20% refund---where did you see anything about a 20% refund--for what?

Classic, always trying to pass the blame in true TurboTax fashion.

How is it that TurboTax managed to e-file my State refund back on July 14th when I click "the big orange button", but your software didn't file my Federal taxes simultaneously?  Because according to four of your colleagues, two EAs, a supervisor, and a customer service representative, they have never seen anything like it and it was likely a software glitch.  

And you're absolutely right, there is only a penalty if you owe, and in my case I do.  The penalty is up to 47.5%.  22.5% for failure to file - 5% per month or partial month its late (in this case TurboTax's doing) and another 25% for failure to pay; 0.5% per month or partial month its late, also your doing)  I'm 4 months + 1 partial month late because when I hit that "big orange button" you decided only my state taxes were worth filing.  So I'm looking at a 25% penalty on a 12k federal tax payment.  That is $3,000 for the less educated.

TurboTax's original remedy for this?  20% refund on my $150 service fee that clearly states:

"E-Filing Included"

They retracted that offer after they hung up on me.

Thankfully this morning I was able to escalate this to someone more capable than yourself and got a full refund.  I'll be claiming the rest in small claims court after the 6 hours I spent on the phone with your team over the past 24 hours to collect enough evidence to tell me "Not our problem, pay the IRS.".

Once again, spineless.