Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tina99

How do I attach my extension approval and form 4868 when I file form my tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How do I attach my extension approval and form 4868 when I file form my tax return

The form 4868 and the approval is not included with your tax return.  The IRS already knows that the extension request was submitted and approved.

tina99

The approval form says "you MUST attach a copy of this form and a copy of the extension request to your individual tax return when you file." 

@tina99 wrote:

The approval form says "you MUST attach a copy of this form and a copy of the extension request to your individual tax return when you file." 

Is this for a state tax return?  If the state requires you to attach the IRS Form 4868 then you will have to print and mail the state tax return to include the IRS Form 4868.  

The form 4868 is not included with the federal tax return. 

As stated in the instructions for a Form 4868 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

Filing Your Tax Return
You can file your tax return any time before the extension expires.
Don’t attach a copy of Form 4868 to your return.

tina99

I'm filing form 1040-NR

@tina99 wrote:

I'm filing form 1040-NR

TurboTax does not support Form 1040-NR.  This user forum is only for assistance with federal tax returns supported by TurboTax.

You can use one the TurboTax partners, Sprintax, to assist you in completing a Form 1040-NR

See this TurboTax support FAQ for information - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/does-turbotax-handle-form-1040nr-for-nonresident-aliens...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies