turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I adjust the amount of a mutual fund dividend subject to state tax?

I have several Vanguard funds which are free of Federal tax. A large portion of these dividends are subject to state tax. I recall filling in these percentages in the interview yet TT reports 0 for the taxable dividend amount for the state. Do I use the Adjust Federal Tax option? If so please advise which box I check and whether it is the adjusted total that I fill in for the amount. 

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax will handle this automatically for dividends entered from Box 11.  Those will be free from federal tax, but only from state tax where appropriate based on your entry on the state tax screen.  

Be sure to allocate the dividends to the state in which they were earned which may differ from your residence state.  

The state dividend selection screen should look similar to this:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry.....I can't seem to locate the screen you cite. It does not appear to be the PA dividend worksheet or included as a step-by-step form.  

To review my issue..... I am wanting only to exempt a small portion of a mutual fund dividend which comes from Pennsylvania. The remainder is attributable to various states. I think I recall having filled in this percentage amount excluded from state tax on a Federal form. Yet, when I review the PA worksheet for dividends , the amount is left blank, suggesting not taxable. I don't know why the taxable amount did not flow through from the Federal worksheet.

I appreciate your assistance. No doubt I am trying to make a simple matter more complex by trying to squeeze out a bit of a deduction on state taxes. Thanks in advance for any further help. 

When I click on edit, a form opens for an adjustment. Do I fill out this form?  If I need to fill out this form, then what amount do I list for adjustment? Is it the portion amount taxable in PA or not subject to PA tax? 

Thanks! I finally realized that the correct information did transfer to my PA form! I was misled by the fact that Adjusted Dividend Income and Dividend Income Summary form did not seem to reflect this. I realize that I do not have to fill out this form. 

I do have a remaining question.... When I input the percentages of dividends derived from different states on Line 11 of the Dividend worksheet, is it correct on the second line to input XX for state as there are multiple. 

Again, thanks for your kind instructions.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Are the dividends entered in Box 11?   If so the screen to allow you to allocate to states, including multiple states or "various", comes after the dividend entry screen in the interview.  You will allocate the necessary amount of the dividends to PA and the remaining amount to "Various" as the state.     If they are not entered into this box, the state allocation screens do not appear.  These screens are in the Federal section of TurboTax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies